1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8 from North America

A money pit

Transmission was rebuilt and warranty extended to 125K due to the dealer forgetting to put transmission oil in the vehicle after a 60K mile tune up. Now supposedly water has entered into the differential and destroyed it. Warranty will not cover it and I know I never submerged the axle in water. The warranty people feel it's my fault due to the fact that is is a 4x4. I suspect the dealer that fixed the transmission also "fixed" the axle. They changed the oil in the axle and 15K miles later I have a destroyed rear axle.

General Comments:

Warranty is useless and not worth the hassle.

Review Date: 4th July, 2000

15th Jul 2001, 09:40

My 95 Dodge Ram is working on its second transmission repair. The first was done by Dodge at the dealership in FREEHOLD NJ at 65,000 miles. The second is being done by a local transmission shop in Middlesex NJ at 89,000 miles.

I love the truck and baby it all the time. It's used to commute to work only. Never snow plows or 4 wheeling. Auto transmission 5.9 liter motor. I still love the truck, but the transmission leaves a lot to be desired...

Bob A.

10th Sep 2001, 07:48

I have a 1996 Dodge SST/Indy love the truck, but as with you the transmission is lacking. It won't up shift under full acceleration, and if I'm doing 75 on the freeway and punch to pass, it drops directly into 2nd and as long as I have the pedal down it will never up-shift until I let up on the gas.

The electricals - don't get me started.

The warranty on this truck still has 20k and the dealership wants to take the tranny apart, but the warranty people say they want me to pay for it if they don't find anything but normal wear and tear. Hell no, it's broke and they don't want to pay.

But put this aside, and the truck is very nice, and as for Dodge, never had one before this, and sad to say I won't buy another.

12th Oct 2002, 06:38

I bought a 1997 1500 SLT Laramie with the a Mark III conversion package. Got the truck with 38kmi. on it and had a couple of repairs done. After all the talk of "Bad transmissions". I had it flushed and service at 40kmi.With the 5.9 and 3.5 gears it will tow a house down. I love it, and hope to have it for a long time...

20th May 2011, 11:05

I have been looking for a New Jersey truck dealer in my area. I also treat my vehicles with a lot of care. When I purchase my car, I hope to have it running fine for many years.

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 Extended Cab 5.7L 318 from North America

Very expensive, unreliable, and disappointing

Seat coverings have cracked.

Power steering box seals leaked.

Excessive rust on the bottom of the doors and the door frame.

Tape player goes into fast forward when changing sides.

Water leaks into cab, floor constantly wet.

Black finishes have chalky white film.

Transmission has loud whine when reversing.

Tires wore out under 18,000 km of road driving.

General Comments:

I purchased my Dodge for two reasons, I liked the truck and it was built in North America. For the price we pay for vehicles such as mine I expect it to last 10 or more years with no major problems. Instead I have had constant headaches. I purchased an extended warranty which cost me an additional $2500.00, however, there is a $100.00 deductible everytime I bring it in.

I will "NEVER" buy another Dodge. Toyota may not be built here, but it has an outstanding reliability and service record. My next vehicle, if I can offload this one, may just have to be Japanese, at least I'll know I got my moneys worth.

Review Date: 27th June, 2000

2nd Jan 2001, 15:13

I feel your pain... I have the same model truck...

So far I have replaced the transfer case @ 40,000... Now the engine @ 60,000... Can't wait till 70,000 to put in a new transmission....

I have too much money invested to sell it so it looks like I will be a Dodge owner for a little while yet....

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 L (360) from North America

Check engine light, but always ran properly, it was just a pollution canister that was replaced. A/C unit made noise and was also replaced.

General Comments:

Engine is the best sounding, smoothest running I have ever owned! No knocking, rattles, or annoying little sounds at all. Would definitely recommend to anyone!

Review Date: 24th September, 1999

1996 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0 liter V-10 from North America

Transmission line recall, possible engine fires due to plastic fittings on the lines.

General Comments:

Excellent comfort and engine power. Poor location for the 4WD, 4WD LOW, and emergency brake indicator lights (not easily visible).

Review Date: 16th June, 1998