1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 5.9 from North America

A good overall vehicle

Shocks were replaced at 130000 kilometers.

Front wheel bearing was replaced at 190000 kilometers.

Catalytic converter had to be replaced at 195000 kilometers.

General Comments:

This is a reliable truck and although I love the exterior design, the interior is rather plain.

One annoying design problem is the sensor for the overdrive. In cold weather it will not engage. Other Ram owners have the same problem.

The Goodyear Wrangler tires are $175 each and do not get the mileage you would expect for that price.

Review Date: 10th August, 2004

8th Dec 2010, 12:42

Overdrive is programmed "NOT" to engage when cold (i.e."cold weather") until every thing is up to proper temperature (as on most vehicles). When extremely cold, it will stay out of overdrive for emissions and engine performance reasons. Hope this helps.

1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck 5.9L from North America

A truck to hang on to

Shifting problems from second to third when cold.

Check engine light always on.

P/s power window intermittent.

Catalytic converter rattle.

Steering gearbox leak at lower shaft. Had to replace gear box at 55,000 miles.

General Comments:

The truck has more horse power than stock due to option package.

It has very good acceleration and handling.

I get more compliments for my truck than my Mustang.

There are about 2,800 Indy Pace Trucks ever made. They were only in 1996. The only color was Viper Blue with white stripes.

The resale is higher than any other truck Dodge makes.

Review Date: 24th March, 2003

3rd Oct 2003, 13:51

To check engine codes: Turn key on, off, on, off, on... count the flashes of the check engine light. this will give you the codes... I would guess your problem is the EGR valve.

9th Jan 2005, 19:05

I own a 1996 Indy pace truck, and I liked so much I went and bought a 1998 dodge ram SS/T. I enjoy both trucks and haven't had a problem with either one. They both handle great for being trucks and take down a lot of fast cars at the drag track. My advice to others that own these trucks is to hang on to them, there rare and getting rarer.

1996 Dodge Ram Laramie SLT 5.2 litre V8 from North America

An all around truck great for comfort on the long haul

Well Obviously with all Chrysler trucks and cars the Transmission tends to go out around 90,000 Miles (So when buying a Dodge always get the extended warranty!) I brought my truck in and they gave me a new factory built transmission. I've ran this car on Slick 50 4x4 oil for the 119,000 miles that I've had it... and man there hasn't been a problem yet.

General Comments:

Only problem is that I pay $55 dollars to fill my 40 gallon gas tank... within 1 week I'm back to filling it back up again...

Great truck, a lot of power, I recommend it over Ford, Chevy, or Toyota.

Review Date: 4th December, 2002

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2C V8 318 from North America

In my opinion, it's the best truck out there.

There was a recall on the transmission. I brought it to the dealer, it was repaired and I haven't had another problem with the transmission.

The brakes are the worst I've ever experienced. They did have to be replaced right after I bought it, but that's a repair required on any vehicle. Problem with them is that they do not stop the truck if you have to brake hard.

My engine is leaking water from somewhere and the leak cannot be located. It is believed to be the thermostat seal and/or the water pump (hey, after 114,000 miles, I guess you're going to have to replace some parts)

General Comments:

Excellent! Wow! I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Aside from the recall on the transmission and the current leak, I have had absolutely no problems with this truck aside from normal wear and tear. How can you beat 114,000 miles with absolutely no engine repairs or replacements?

All of the electronics, windows, mirrors, etc., have given me no problems. My husband just bought a 2001 Chevy Silverado and has already had to have the window mechanism replaced due to faulty wiring.

This truck has been driven multiple times from Georgia to Florida and from Georgia to Ohio. It's not the smoothest ride, but it is a lot smoother than my husband's previous truck, a 1995 Ford F150. It drives like a truck should. It's got excellent power. Each time I drive it, I fall more in love with it.

Review Date: 26th July, 2002

5th Jan 2004, 13:40

Just wanted to let you know that it probably is the water pump that is leaking I also had the problem and it is not that hard of a fix.

17th Aug 2004, 22:27

Wow, I have a 1996 dodge ram, when did they recall the transmission? Is there someway I can participate on that?

I just baby it; don't push it until it slips into the proper gear.

Also, did you know of any instructions on how to replace the water pump?

Cathy S.

20th Oct 2004, 14:22

My 96 Dodge Ram had a water leak. After having the water pump replaced there was still a small leak. It turned out to be a small hose that is very hard to locate. It's underneath the a/c compressor. The compressor had to be taken off to replace the hose. Since then, no leak.

2nd May 2005, 20:47

Does anyone know how to replace the back window "sliding glass" on one of these things.

9th May 2008, 17:43

I just bought a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 4x4 and it's a really nice truck. Haven't had any problems and it has 179,000 miles on it. The 4 wheel drive did quit on me, but it was just a vacuum hose.