1996 Dodge Ram SLT Sport 5.9 / 360 from North America

Summary:

The first and last truck I'll ever own, and I'm only 40

Shield on the gas tank rattles.

General Comments:

Awesome off road.

Loads of power.

No major problems even though I beat it daily.

Fastest truck I've ever been in.

Lots of gas, but who buys a truck for fuel economy.

Review Date: 18th June, 2002

1996 Dodge Ram 3500 One ton service truck 5.9 V-8 gas from North America

Summary:

A good looking, expensive paperweight

Transmissions (all six of them) have lasted 10,000 miles each.

Fuel mileage is pathetic (5-6 mpg).

Will not stay aligned.

Plagued with electrical demons.

General Comments:

This is my municipally-owned work truck. It has had regular preventive maintenance (every 3,000 miles) and has never towed anything. The truck has 62,000 miles and is currently on transmission #6. I personally do not deal with the dealer so cannot speak as to that experience. Recently, it has started to act as though tranny #7 might be in order. This truck has a twin in our fleet that is on tranny #3 with 33,000 miles. The vehicle is not abused, but runs pretty much 10 hours straight 4 days a week. It is used in the metro Phoenix area so I will give it some slack due to the heat factor, but I don't hear of other vehicles eating up trannys like this.

Review Date: 16th December, 2001

2nd Jan 2009, 00:31

This man speaks the truth about Dodge trucks!

1996 Dodge Ram SLT 5.9 from North America

Summary:

Drives like a WWII tank! (eats gas and leaks oil!)

Dash panels were bad from the dealer.

Auto door locks would spin, not lock - it took two different dealers to fix, and one tried to play it off as a feature. (Atlas Dodge - Costa Mesa)

Transmission replaced at 35,000 - I drive about 4 miles a day to-from work, no real off road or long trips.

Cat. converter replaced twice.

AM/FM radio replaced twice - and it's happened again... only the FM cuts out.

All but one seal has split and started to leak.

Serpentine belt showed cracks at 12,000.

Drivers side mirror won't stay still - (wobbles back and forth) - and the dealer can't repair it.

Master brake cylinder had to be replaced at 45,000.

Battery went dead at 15,000 - dealer replaced it, then the new one leaked acid, which ate through the cruise control vacuum line - caused the venting system to go haywire. They replaced the battery a third time, and 'rigged' the vacuum line. I had to fight them to replace the line and not just 'duct' it.

General Comments:

It was nice to drive at first, but the truck has turned into a real headache, so in March away I go to the Ford dealer to trade this for a Focus.

I looked at the 2001 Ram's, but I don't want the hassle... if consumer reports had rated them higher, perhaps I would have thought about it as another purchase.

I will miss the hauling capability, but the wife's Passat wagon should do the trick for all that stuff.

Review Date: 5th February, 2001

11th Feb 2001, 12:25

I can understand your frustration, but on the plus side sometimes you can get a lemon in a bunch of peaches!! It does not mean they are all bad. I happen to love the Dodge trucks and have had nothing but luck with them. I have had Toyotas, I have had Chevy's and even had a GMC pickup, and will keep buying Dodge. They are the most aggressive looking, impressive driving and reliable in starting (at least in my experience)!!

5th Sep 2001, 03:26

You traded the truck in on a Ford Focus and you are thinking that was an improvement? Oh, and the battery is not even built or designed by Chrysler/Dodge or built by them so it has no relevance. As for the trade, whatever.

10th Jan 2002, 20:34

I like my 94 2500 V10 Ram, but I would like it a lot more if my radio worked!!

Please advise on how to troubleshoot these stereo cliches.

14th Sep 2011, 21:34

You going from a Dodge to a Ford is a HUGE down grade. Dodge is the only way to go. I know a car salesman, and he even says Ford is junk; he recommends Dodge or GM. He has more Ford in the garage than any other.