1996 Dodge Ram 1500 3.9 V6 from North America

Summary:

Prettiest truck on the road

Not much so far, but I've only owned it for a couple of months.

Since I bought it, I have done the usual maintenance, you know, oil, lube, filter, flushed the radiator, changed the fluid and filter in the tranny, etc.

I had to recharge the A/C, but it works fine now. The only thing that has me concerned, is that after the truck warms up, and say you shut it off for a few minutes, then try to start it, it will die unless you give it some gas right after you start it. I've read about the fuel pump in the gas tank getting weak before they fail, and I've also read that there is something called a cam positioning sensor that can go bad, and maybe be the culprit. If anyone has any ideas on this, I would appreciate it.

General Comments:

It's a beautiful truck, but I read a lot of horror stories about everything from cracked dashes, to faulty transmissions, to failing fuel pumps. I'll have more to say about it as time and repairs go by. Wish me luck with her.

Review Date: 17th November, 2009

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd 318 from North America

Summary:

Crap! Junk! Poor design! Rip off!

This truck has been the biggest piece of crap since the day I bought it new.

For the first 3 years it was in the dealer service shop 1 or twice a month.

First problem was a rear end leak; they said normal seepage (ha).

The front end shook bad; they said tires (I tried 5 different sets of new tires), and finally found that the universal joints on the front end 4wd were bent; defective from the factory.

3 catalytic converters.

2 fuel collection canisters.

1 transmission module, which was bad from day 1.

Fuel gauge quit at 60,000.

Steering linkage noisy and sloppy.

Air intake assembly has a vacuum leak almost once a month due to its poor design. Vacuum leak on 4wd engagement switch due to poor design; the battery is on top and leaks acid on the vacuum lines.

Water pump leaked at 50,000.

Thermostat froze at 80,000.

Need I say more? Absolutely the biggest piece of crap; don't know why I paid 19,000 for this truck, but I never will again!

Review Date: 2nd September, 2007

2nd Sep 2007, 17:05

If you truly had the vehicle in the shop at least once a month for the first 3 years, it should have been purchased back from the manufacturer. If this truck is as awful as you say it is, then why in the world have you driven it for 11 years!!

6th Jun 2008, 12:28

I have driven Dodges for years, and have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500, a 1998 Durango; no problems. You have problems when you take your Dodge in; they are ripping you off, and you are bending over for them,

18th Mar 2011, 17:48

If this truck is such a piece of crap, why are you still driving it with 170,000 miles on if you don't like it?

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.3 from North America

Summary:

Made me a believer in dodge

New clutch at only 61000 miles.

Exhaust rusted out very quick.

Valves are starting to tick.

Rims are starting to rust.

General Comments:

This is a very powerful truck for only a 5.3 engine, I chained up to a F-350 and held my own against him.

Handles great and cruises very nicely on the freeway.

The fuel economy could be better I am getting about 13 city and 17 highway.

All in all this is a good truck and I would recommend it to anyone.

Review Date: 17th April, 2007

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 EXT-CAB 5.9 Gasoline from North America

Summary:

Number 1 Vehicle on the road

Well from what I understand, from the guy I bought this truck from (in 2002). He said he has not ever had to put anything into it, it always ran very well for him- and he kept the oil/filters changed regularly. So since I purchased it from him in March 2002 I have only had to put in a fuel pump (February 2003) @ 128000 miles. And Last week @ 192000 miles (July 2005) the water pump went out. That's it. Almost 200,000 miles on the truck and she runs like new, and never lets me down.

General Comments:

I have NO complaints about this truck. She is always ready for a drive. I use it for work and I put between 75 and 150 miles on her 5-6 days a week. Ac still blows cold. And she looks new ; with the exception of some minor scuffs here and there from normal wear. But the paint still pulls the new showroom shine when washed and waxed. Nothing has worn or tore on the inside. For a Full size truck that I use hard at work and has nearly 200,000 miles on her and is almost 10 years old, I would never believe it unless I saw it. :)

Review Date: 2nd August, 2005