1991 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo Convertible 2.5 turbo 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Fantastic to drive and own if you find a well maintained one

Replace rotors because they were warped. The pair cost me $42. Very easy to do. Pads were like new so didn't replace pads.

General Comments:

This is my second ES Turbo Convertible, and I consider my self lucky. This is a rust free, no dings or dent car. My daughter totaled the 1st one, but I had it fixed. It was in too good of shape to throw away & way too much fun. Had to eventually sell it to buy my daughter a car for school.

This car has a great motor (2.5) and the turbo is great. I notice the guys talk a lot about increasing the boost to make it faster. Believe me, it's fast enough. The Chrysler engineers beef up the trans & motor for the turbo. Also, the computer is set for the Turbo. If you boost it up too much, you'll run the risk of overheating and ruining the motor or trans, so be careful with that wish, unless you compensate for it.

Handles great & is comfortable. Comes with the bigger rims & tires than the normal Shadow, so it feels like it's glued to the road. Gas mileage though nothing to brag about is decent for a 2,900 lb car with turbo. I get exact what is listed. (19/23 mpg)

The only bad part is the power windows on these cars are weak, and fail quite often, or maybe it's a window regulator problem.

Otherwise, this car is a blast to drive & cheap to maintain. It will blow the doors off of most cars in it's class, especially the 90 vintage years. (4's & v-6's)

It's the best bang for the buck you can find. Toyota & Honda in the same year category is not even close concerning power & easy of maintenance.

I think I know a little bit about power since I own a 1960 TBIRD with 300 HP & about 390 lbs of torque.

Review Date: 25th August, 2008

1991 Dodge Shadow America from North America

Summary:

A good first car,. but not reliable in the end

Hmmm...

When I received it at 50000 miles, the shocks and struts needed to be replaced.

Thermostat replaced at 58,920.

Thermostat replaced at 61,190.

Thermostat and radiator replaced at 64,000.

Brakes and Rotors, 69,000.

Fuel tank strap, 71,000

Exhaust needs replaced.

Muffler needs replaced.

Alarmingly loud

Engine ticks.

Fuel gauge, temperature gauge need to be replaced.

Leaks coolant.

Can't stay cool.

AC Broke, 79,000.

Water now shoots from bottom pass. vents.

Fuel leaks. About 1 cup/ day.

Very Hesitant in humidity.

Car enters vapor lock on hot days. (Fuel cannot pass the dense fuel vapors in fuel lines) In turn, won't start.

Caliper broke, 81,000.

Fuel pump now cuts out while driving, no longer safe.

General Comments:

When I got this car for my first car, it was wonderful. soon after the coolant system stopped working. I have invested nearly 1000$ US to keep it running smoothly. the car barely starts, and ticks alarmingly. when stopped in traffic it jumps around and makes much noise.

Review Date: 30th August, 2007

30th Jul 2012, 19:15

Sounds to me like you blew your head gasket. Would explain the failure of anything in the cooling system and the problem with starting it may be from hydrolock (water in the cylinders) and coolant in the combustion chamber. Could also have a cracked cylinder head. Best advice is to find another motor; they are cheap and plentiful.

1991 Dodge Shadow S 2.2 from North America

Summary:

Tough, economical, cheap to own

Over heated on long trips. Replaced the thermostat.

Speedometer only went to 140km/h...but it go faster than that.

Head gasket may have started to leak slightly around the time we sold it, but this isn't certain (and not the reason we sold it).

Would want to stall on occasion. Mostly when cold.

A fair bit of vibration. Would rattle a lot when idling or at a stop light.

The warning buzzer was crazy annoying... but added to the overall personality of the car, and made it impossible to forget your keys in it.

General Comments:

A tough, dependable car. Looked really good for its age, no rust anywhere except the floor (from sitting on the grass for 3 years before I bought it).

Speedo only went to 140km/h, but it could go a lot faster than that. A cool trick to show your friends (the speedo wrapping around back almost to "0"...which isn't advisable for safety reasons), but annoying because you don't know how fast your really going.

2.2 4cyl is noisy, rattly, but tough as it gets.

Over all a good car, as we did almost nothing to it, and drove it hard.

Great fuel economy.