2002 Fiat Stilo ACTIVE 5dr 1.6 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Poor build quality stilo

Upper glove-box broken on picking up vehicle.

Rear axle replaced at 60 miles due to fault.

Power steering ecu replaced at 100 miles due to failure.

Buzzing from dash at 70 m.p.h.dash sub-frame replaced at 250 miles.

Car wandered to the left tracking adjusted.

Steering wheel not central this was adjusted.

Rattling from rear of car all trim clips replace, but still rattling.

Passenger side central locking button keeps coming loose still not fixed.

Engine very sluggish when cold on pick up still not sorted.

Various rattles 2800 miles waiting to be fixed I won't hold my breath.

General Comments:

Yet again abysmal build quality from fiat.

1.6 engine a bit underpowered and sluggish at low revs, but fine on a long run.

Good equipment levels.

Good price.

Poor fiat dealer service again.

Review Date: 11th April, 2003

11th Apr 2003, 08:33

My Punto is exactly the same, and after the garage has had their grubby mitts on it to TRY (Ha Ha) to sort it, the list of problems seems to go from bad to worse.

And they say there's no such thing as a bad car anymore!

15th Apr 2003, 01:39

It seems you have one of the first batch of cars (noisy rear axles, passenger airbag failure warning light, various noises from rear hatch...).

Things seem to be better now, see www.stilo.org for details.

2002 Fiat Stilo 1.9jtd 115bhp from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Stylish bargain

Car was recalled for replacement engine fan.

Passenger seat, sliders have failed twice, meaning each time you let someone into the back the seat has to to returned to the furthest back position.

General Comments:

I love this car, the engine is fantastic, real GTi style performance with a regular return of 50mpg, most overtaking can be done in fifth gear with no hassle.

My daily commute of 100miles taking in motorway, A roads B roads and town centres, the car copes brillantly, with a good ride if not as sporting as the body suggest.

Although the drivers seat can take a life time to set up just right, but it can be done eventually.

And its seriously good value, six air bags, air con, alloy wheels, and the best looking three door car around.

No squeaks or rattles yet, and nothing has fallen off, the dealer has been great (even got a get well card soon after buying the car, when I took ill).

Review Date: 11th March, 2003

2002 Fiat Stilo Dynamic 1.6 16v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Excellent car with bags of equipment

Absolutely nothing I'm pleased to say! (So far).

General Comments:

I am the one who wrote the review above about my Stilo Active having a problem with the clutch pedal and radiator fan.

Having got rid of my Stilo Active I purchased a Ford Focus. To cut a long story short I sold the Focus as it was a discrace to the Ford name. I shall be putting my review on the Focus on here very soon!

I have since then purchased a Stilo Dynamic. This car is simply excellent. When compared to the Focus Zetec, the Stilo out performs it in every possible way. The Stilo Dynamic comes with: 16" Alloys, Air con, 6 airbags, ABS with BFD, Brake assist, "My Car" function where you can totally customise how the car operates.

This car drives and handles superbly. It's a real eye turner too!

There are bags of equipment to play with.

Forget your Fords, Vauxhalls & Peugeots - buy a Fiat Stilo - you will not be dissapointed!

Review Date: 9th March, 2003

10th Mar 2003, 08:38

Why did you sell your first stilo? Could you comment more on the reliability and the performance of the 1.6 16V, please?

9th May 2003, 15:20

Hi there.

I am the original reviewer.

Just an update:

My car has now done 13,000 miles and I have noticed a loud knocking noise from the driver's side front.

I have taken it to my dealer and the whole front suspension has had to be replaced.

I am pleased to say that this has solved the problem.

However, I am not happy as my dealer told me that they and Fiat were aware with a problem with the front suspension on the Stilo.