1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 281ci / 4.6L SOHC V8 from North America

Summary:

The cops and cabbies use them for a reason

Besides routine maintenance repairs, the failure of the nylon intake manifold and a rear swaybar link were the only other repairs. Under hard acceleration, the cross over from each cylinder head can fracture, and it did. I had to fix it myself, I was able to get it back on the road the same day it failed.

From previous experience, the car will need new shocks and springs around 140000-160000 miles. Also, it seems than when one steering or suspension part fails, they are all about ready to go. Not very expensive to replace, but annoying. See how much it costs to repair a BMW 540 with the same mileage. Good luck.

General Comments:

The car is very comfortable to drive, very smooth, very little steering effort is needed at low speeds. I drive a lot for work, 3-5 hours per day, and it usually gets around 18.5 mpg in the city. If I go on a trip, it will get 25-26 mpg. The car has a 2.73:1 open axle, so it's not super fast off the line. It feels very good at high speed and can pass well. Respectable handling for its size, and the suspension is very strong and can take a tremendous amount of abuse without breakage.

I sold my 95 Crown Vic after I bought this one. It had 216000 miles on it. The car ran, stopped, shifted and the A/C still worked. What more can you ask for.

Review Date: 19th October, 2009

1997 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 4.6L V8 from North America

Summary:

Best car Ford ever made

Had to replace the inner and outer tie rod on the left side due to an accident. The sleeve had to be replaced too.

General Comments:

The car is very fast, it was a County Sheriffs car. I raced a 5.0 Mustang and beat it.

I love the car and I plan on driving it until there is nothing left of it.

The spot light still works and I use it once in a while.

The car is like driving a tank, but I feel very safe in it. I use the car to transport my kids around, and they really like it.

Review Date: 3rd October, 2009

1997 Ford Crown Victoria from North America

Summary:

One of the best cars Ford ever built

1. Intake manifold cracked at about 90000km.

2. Ball joint broke at about 160000km.

General Comments:

Very reliable and comfortable car. I have owned 3 Crown Victorias in past 27 years, and this car has been the best one yet.

Highway mileage is at least 30 mpg (Imperial gallon) and it has been very trouble free. It even has the original exhaust. It has rarely failed to start even at -40.

Steering tends to be a bit vague on highway drives.

I want to buy a new one before they are no longer produced.

Review Date: 27th April, 2009

1997 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 4.6L from North America

Summary:

The car is safe

The cheezy Dupont plastic intake manifold cracked. I had to pay about $1000.00 to have a it replaced.

Also the front headlights are very dim. The car itself runs good, but it has been recalled many times.

Review Date: 23rd November, 2008

24th Nov 2008, 12:12

If you got 235,000 out of the original intake that is really good for a police car, I got 66,890 out of mine on a Grand Marquis.

24th Nov 2008, 13:16

I owned a 1988 Grand Marquis that was a very good vehicle. I was able to drive it up to 225k and the transmission went. But it wasn't feasible to fix, even though the motor was in good shape.

25th Nov 2008, 20:40

Regarding the trans failure: Did the plastic grommet on the tv-cable brake? A brass grommet up-grade will help prevent this problem.

1997 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 4.6L from North America

Summary:

This is a fast, reliable, cheap, safe car that you can buy cheap

Replaced all 4 oxygen sensors on the vehicle to stop the check engine light from coming on.

Replace all spark plugs for improve performance.

Replace rear axle fluid at 99,000 per maintenance schedule.

Replaced engine coolant at 105,000 miles per maintenance schedule.

Change oil every 5,000 miles with Motor craft synthetics blend motor oil.

All routine maintenance under the severe operating conditions.

Replaced all 4 tires with fire hawks PV41 high performance tires. P225-70r 15. These tires are V rated at 149Mph top speed. Same tires used by the police department.

No problems to report at this time. Vehicle has been extremely reliable at this time.

General Comments:

The vehicle is extremely fast and handle well around the corner. The vehicle is extremely reliable. Never broke down on me in two years. I have taken this car out of state twice and it just keep on going. I had the vehicle going at 125 MPH. and my foot was not completely pedal to the metal. I believe this car is capable of doing at lease 135MPH or 140mph. I had to slow down because I feel that the car is floating and the tires was not making full contact with the ground. I had purchased the vehicle used. This was an unmarked state police vehicle with a good engine. Never needed a quart of oil in over 4,000 miles of service. The only complaint That I have with the vehicle is that the engine makes a small tappet noise sometimes at low speed. I would definitely purchase another Police Interceptor by Ford. I am a law enforcement officer and I love police cars especially the Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptors.

Review Date: 22nd February, 2008