1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4.6 SOHC V8 from North America

Summary:

Solid, reliable and a joy to drive

There have only been a couple of issues with the car: approximately 3 years ago, my mechanic noticed that the intake plenum had a crack in it just behind the alternator, and coolant was leaking out of it. This is a well documented issue with the 4.6 V8. As well, I've had one electric window motor fail. No other problems to date.

General Comments:

I bought this car in 2005 for my first vehicle. I did my research and determined that these vehicles, if well maintained, were reliable and well built. After finding one close to where I live (not an easy task), I immediately fell in love with it. The first test drive sold me, and I had my local mechanic check the vehicle over to determine its shape. Everything looked good so I took it.

It has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever driven. My parents have mostly always bought Japanese cars, but my Crown Vic has been more reliable and cost less to maintain than the imports. Fuel economy is consistent with what one expects from a V8, though 25-30MPG seems pretty good. It has the leather interior and loads of room. I use it mostly for driving on the highway, and it seems that this is exactly what the vehicle was designed to do.

I keep it in immaculate condition, and my neighbors and friends admit it's a beautiful car. I will never part with it, even if I need to update in future. Best car ever made.

Review Date: 19th July, 2011

22nd Jul 2011, 16:57

These are wonderful cars, glad you are enjoying yours. I own a 1986 Crown Vic that is extremely reliable, just completed a 6000k road trip with it actually.

The reason these cars are so great is that they are one of the last rear wheel drive cars, which makes for effortless steering, smooth turning, and an excellent highway cruiser.

These are great car, and all the parts are super cheap. I would recommend it to anyone who does a lot of driving, and wants a reliable, cheap to maintain car.

1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 from North America

Summary:

The best car I ever owned, don't know why I sold it

My intake manifold blew a hole out, resulting in a $750.00 repair job. Replaced it with a "dealer only" reinforced manifold and no problems since. I have had two window motors go out. The factory headlights have yellowed up.

I can't keep my trunk opener cable attached, so I always have trouble getting into it.

The reliability of my Crown Vic has really been outstanding (considering it's a 1997).

The traction control is useless.

General Comments:

A whole lot of good car for your money.

It has pretty good acceleration and the ride is second to none. The seats are very comfortable even after 12 years. Other than two window roller uppers or whatever they are called, all of the small stuff and gadgets are still working.

The sound system is pretty good for original equipment.

The rear view mirror hides traffic from the right side of the vehicle on like off ramps.

This is a nice road car that won't tire you out while driving it. The steering is nice and light and cornering is nice with minimal body roll.

You can't kill the 4.6L v-8. After 12 years my car will sit at idle and drive down the road like the day it was built.

Review Date: 30th May, 2010

31st May 2010, 17:17

Sounds like you had a good thing going there. If you ever decide to get another one, I'd suggest the police version (Interceptor), BUT make sure it has ALL past records of service and ownership. Sometimes kids get a hold of these things and flog on 'em. If I had a kid myself, I WOULD give one of these for a first car.

ANYWAY, there was a nice one I recently passed up here in Seattle for $4000, it was a 2003 Interceptor with only 73,000 miles, nice body interior etc, But I get to looking and see parts-yard marks underneath on several front-end components, bumper, drivers' headlamp, fender etc. (Those Yellow chalk-type pens they use). It'd had obviously been in a pretty decent wreck, and rebuilt (& not by a body shop!). Even when confronted the owner denied it, and wouldn't budge on the price. I walked. (Shoulda ran!). BTW this was a business which sold ONLY former fleet vehicles.