1997 Ford Crown Victoria Reviews - Page 3 of 7

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4.6 from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Previous carChevrolet Caprice

Summary:

This has been the best car I have ever owned

The only problem that I have ever had with this vehicle was to replace the front end parts that for some reason Ford lubricated at the factory and installed on the car. These were nearly rusted out. I replaced with aftermarket fittings that had grease fittings on them.

The only other problems that I have had have been to replace a brake line, and the lower unit to the air conditioning, which I consider to be normal work to be done on a 1997 vehicle.

Without the lumbar support the drivers seat would be a bear to sit in for prolonged drives. The seats have started to wear a little, but then again it is 11 years old.

The only real complaint that I could say is the yellowing of Ford's headlights. I can see fine, but it looks like crap. I installed after market high intensity bulbs and they are much better than stock low beams.

General Comments:

This car is a great joy to own and drive. It has plenty of power when you need it. It has a great turning radius. I take numerous long trips and the car is very capable and comfortable.

The brakes seem very capable for a full size car, although the traction control is a joke.

I owned a 1994 Chevy caprice before this and I could not keep it off the back of the tow truck! This Crown Victoria has been a dream come true as far as reliability is concerned.

My cousin brags up his 2004 Honda civic, it may cost more in gas to drive this crown vic, but this 1997 Ford will outlast his by years.

Review Date: 21st January, 2008

1997 Ford Crown Victoria P71 Interceptor 4.6 from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Previous carChevrolet Impala

Summary:

Completely reliable, fast, comfortable, roomy

At 175,250, replaced outer tie rod ends and shocks (police / taxi shocks). Other than routine maintenance (fluids /filters) have not needed to perform any repairs.

The intake was replaced at some point during it's years of police duty service, as were the spark plug wires.

Local dealer faxed complete fleet service maintenance / repair history to me when I purchased at county action (for $800). Love this vehicle.

General Comments:

Car is roomy, handles very well for a full size car.

Trunk is huge.

Even with relatively high mileage, vehicle is seriously reliable (unlike our 2000 and 2002 Impalas, whose Passlock Security system routinely, but randomly prevents cars from starting).

Fuel mileage acceptable for size of car: 21.3 MPG average, highway trips 25+ MPG.

A/C system is great. Have not talked to any other Crown Vic owners who have had any A/C problems, although they must be out there.

Love this car. $800 invested, totally reliable, no tailgaters (still have State Police two-tone paint scheme). Plan to keep it as an "extra" vehicle, although it is pretty much daily driven as our Impalas are not at all reliable. Will be at the upcoming county fleet sale to get a later model CV and then put the Impalas up for sale.

Review Date: 20th October, 2007

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1996
Engine and transmission 4.6 V8 Automatic

Summary:

Drives like a Boat, Built like a tank

No problems at all, except the starter has begun to make a grinding sound when I start it in the morning and it hasn't been warmed up yet.

General Comments:

Overall, it is probably one of the most consistently reliable vehicles made today by any manufacturer. It's no surprise that over 80% of all police crusiers are still Crown Victoria's. At close to 114,000 miles, its amazing that I have had no problems with it.

It's basically a luxury car at a non-luxury car price. Electronic everything and leather for under $30,000, if you were to buy it new today.

Handling is what you would expect from a large sedan, but acceleration is above average.

Review Date: 22nd February, 2007

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4.6L V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1996
Engine and transmission 4.6L V8 Automatic
Previous carJeep Grand Cherokee

Summary:

Decent car with expensive repairs likely

Intake manifold left me stranded at 95,000 miles. This is a defect in original manufacturing. If you plan on buying one of these, make sure this has been swapped out. Otherwise, budget for expensive repairs.

Temperature blender motor in dash went at about 80,000 miles. (Only blew hot air, no cool air from the A/C.) It was a $65 dollar part, but a 6 hour job to fix it. I understand this to be another repair owners of these cars can expect to make at some point.

I spent $400 on a new steering gearbox at 90,000 miles. After much trouble diagnosing, this repair helped do-away with a shimmy in the steering wheel that was very obvious going over imperfections in the road at higher speeds.

I also had trouble with two of the four power window regulators between 75,000 and 85,000 miles.

All four brake rotors became warped and needed replaced within the past year.

One function of the power seat motors on the driver's side failed at about 80,000.

General Comments:

I bought this from a local dealership as a very clean 7-year-old car in 2004. It was to be a second car, but has since become my everyday driver.

I've read how great these cars are, and I think they can be. But if you have one of these or are in the market for one, you should beware that there are some expensive repairs that seem to come with the territory. I bought the car for $7000 and have likely spent another $2500 in repairs the past two years. Thanks to this car, I have me mechanic's phone number memorized. I don't think that's a good sign.

I still have lots of faith in the motor (I've seen some of these reach 300,000 miles in taxicabs, when heavier oil was used.) Tranny seems strong too.

The car is at its best on the interstate. Maximum fuel mileage (27-28 MPG) seems to occur at 70-75 MPH.

The seats are fairly comfortable, but the car has surprisingly little leg room in the front for a 6-2 driver.

Review Date: 30th November, 2006

30th Nov 2006, 23:28

I love these cars, you need to also worry about the IAC these parts go bad on these cars. My 2000 Grand Marquis needs one at 43K miles.

8th Jan 2007, 12:06

I have had the exact same problems! Intake manifold... mine was about 12.000 to repair, blender door, that was a cool 250.00...and now my drivers side window doesn't work...craziness. And my intake manifold went out AFTER the March cut off... not very happy.