2004 Ford Crown Victoria Reviews

First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 4.6 SOHC Automatic
Previous carFord Tempo

Summary:

Amazing great car

Replaced intake manifold and hoses at 150000 km.

General Comments:

Simply put, this is one of the best cars ever made.

Ford spent years and millions refining it since its 1979 debut.

If you have owned one, you will know it gets great gas mileage (24 MPG mixed driving) for a big car, is incredibly reliable, and is probably one of the best highway cars ever made.

The performance is fantastic thanks to heavy duty suspension and sway bars and a nearly 50/50 weight distribution. The engine is so reliable that the only service item is the intake manifold (it will crack after about 150000 km). Fuel pumps go at about 320000km.

Nothing else ever breaks. Taxi companies would put 800000 km on these cars.

I love mine, and 2004 is considered the best year.

Mine had the catalytic converters removed by the Ford dealer for the police, and a corrector chip installed to adjust the fuel mix. According to my local Ford dealer, some had catalytic deletes from the factory, but I have not seen one of those.

I drive mine sedately, and it purrs along. Too bad they stopped making them, as the cops loved them, and the Panther chassis was the mainstay of fleet, limo and commercial use.

Review Date: 8th July, 2013

2004 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 4.6 Romeo from North America

Model year2004
Year of manufacture2004
First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 4.6 Romeo Automatic
Previous carToyota Tercel

Summary:

The Ultimate

Oil leak (valve cover).

General Comments:

You can only know how fine these cars are on the road if you have actually owned one. I have had several full size Fords over the years, but had started to drive smaller cars for the fuel mileage. I must say I had forgotten how it feels to drive a "real car".

The big Crown is the king of the road.

It does everything well. It has it all, safety, room, comfort, road respect, and reliability.

The performance of this car is top class. Braking, cornering, and acceleration are better than any other car I have owned. The few cars on the road it cannot catch (and they are few) will meet their match on the highway at high speeds, where the Crown can run at full throttle all day without breaking (and the radio and helicopter are ready to help too).

Given that the gas mileage is surprisingly good (low to mid 20s in city/rural mixed driving), I expect that this car will be cheaper to own than most economy boxes long term, since unlike most cars, these things do not fall apart (taxi companies drive these to 500 thousand miles).

It is sad Ford will discontinue the panthers in 2011. These are truly the last of a breed, and highway and city staff will now be stuck driving downsized cramped midsizes that will not P.I.T. easily, cost much more to fix, and generally be less reliable.

The Crown Vic P71... the last of the full size Police V-8 Highway Interceptors.

Review Date: 24th November, 2010

6th Feb 2011, 23:02

I drove a 1991 Toyota Tercel half way across the country and back last summer 2010 for less the $200.00 in gas round trip from Kansas to So Cal and back.

""" The car got 37 mpg all day long!"""

Granted the Vic is good car, it's well into the gas guzzler category. It's not as comfy as a PA or as fast as Charger, or as fuel efficient as most cars on the road today, but it is reliable and safe. If you like owning a taxi cab, go for it. Cops don't pay for the gas, and you're more likely to get a rock thrown at you than a smile for looking like one, and the helicopter won't be there for you.

It was over $3.00 a gallon when I wrote this, so go get a Vic and have fun LOL.

2nd May 2011, 12:54

Believe it or not, the gas mileage is actually not so bad.

I get in the low 20s in mixed driving, and when you consider that your Tercel is a death trap in an accident, I will happily pay a bit more at the pumps for fuel (life insurance).

I also owned a Tercel, and it got about 29 mpg in mixed driving. I still have dents in legs from the steering wheel pushing on my knees (no room).

I had to change the engine on it, and rust was a huge problem.

The reality is that gas is only one part of the cost of owning a car. Every Toyota I have owned has had costly repairs (i.e. Landcruiser diesel head at only 60,000 miles=$$$).

My Crowns (and Fords in general) have been much cheaper to own than my imports.

And no one has thrown a rock at me. Yet.

I'll take the Crown Vic.

2nd May 2011, 12:57

Yes, and a go-cart would get 100 mpg.