1998 Ford Escort Reviews - Page 11 of 28

1998 Ford Escort SE 2.0 from North America

Most recent distance120650 miles
Previous carChevrolet Van

Summary:

Ford Escort = Cheap and Crappy

Struts were bad when I bought the car. I have yet to replace them.

I performed a complete tune-up at 105000.

I flushed the transmission fluid at 105000.

Drivers side caliper seized up at 110000.

Thermostat went out at 115000. I replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat, timing belt and water pump as preventative maintenance. I did it myself so it only cost $300 total instead of $1000 at a garage.

Pre-cat oxygen sensor went out at 118000.

My #1 cylinder has fouled out a spark plug, but I have yet to determine the cause.

General Comments:

I used to have a 93 Honda Civic lx 5spd that would get better than 40 mpg MIXED DRIVING CITY AND HIGHWAY. That was a tough act to follow. My Escort barely holds a candle to that miser. She would be a great car if little things didn't keep going wrong. I understand that brakes and thermostats and oxygen sensors are all so common that they can be considered general maintenance, however the fact that they are all breaking on me within a short time makes me question my car's overall reliability. I love the gas mileage. I can get 30-40 on the highway and 20-30 city. The seats are not comfortable at all after more than 2 hours of constant driving. Everything feels cheaply made and paper thin. I'm afraid to drive it hard because it doesn't have the solid feel of some more expensive compact cars. I would seriously have to think long and hard before purchasing another Ford product. I love working on my car, but should I have to be in the garage every other week for something stupid?

Review Date: 15th October, 2006

9th Jan 2007, 19:19

Uh, Hello... the car had over 100k on it when you bought it. It is probable that the previous owner neglected the maintenance on this car.

5th Dec 2007, 14:24

Or simply that is is an American economy car with over 100k miles on it. These Escorts have a general reputation for being quite reliable and long lasting. Just look at the reviews. The ZX2 is another story.

26th Apr 2008, 00:38

It also sounds like poor part quality, try premium parts and maybe you won't have to replace them all the time.

28th Jul 2009, 00:43

It's a used car, chances are the previous owner didn't take good care of it. Also, if things keep breaking that much, it might be a good idea to take it to a mechanic, even if you will have to spend a little bit more. It'll save you money in the long run.

30th Aug 2010, 23:50

Try a model from 1995/1996. I had one that lasted 238,000 miles. A bearing went bad in the engine and I decided to junk it after getting so much use. I acquired the little grocery getter at around 158,000.

Oh yeah, it died due to moving to a mountain area with a constant elevation of around 7,500 feet. Mountain passes...

1998 Ford Escort SE from North America

Engine and transmission Manual

Summary:

GREAT...Reliable and fair priced

My only issues were the rotors. I had to replace them twice, but it wasn't very expensive and I think it had to do with they way I drive.

Around 127,000 (guessing on miles) my clutch went out. That cost me $1000. But I don't blame the car, clutches wear out with poor driving and well I learned to drive stick with this car and I didn't treat it the best.

Aside from those three things I had no other problems. It was an awesome car, I would still have it today except for the car accident : (

General Comments:

Great, Reliable Car!

Review Date: 21st September, 2006

1998 Ford Escort GTi 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

Good, but could be better

2 new wish bones.

2 back bearings.

1 drive.

Engine not idling right.

Engine racing.

General Comments:

I had the same make and model car before this one, and never had as many problems.

The head gasket went, but that was just a straight fix.

But with this one, it just seems to be one thing after another.

Review Date: 26th July, 2006

18th Aug 2006, 16:26

I've had wishbones replaced, and had the ISCV (idle speed control valve) cleaned out with carb cleaner, as this can cause dodgy idleness. You've had the car for about 7 or 8 years, what are you expecting? Your list of 'complaints' is very very short considering the length of time! Do you expect your escort to be zero-maintenance? Your list of issues are replacement parts required every few years, and they're not exactly expensive either, being a Ford. I feel you're perhaps new to car-buying and maintenance, so I'll let you off :-)

22nd Aug 2006, 15:57

I had to replace a wishbone just after 50k I think there was a problem with this.

26th Feb 2007, 02:26

This is normal practice for a car that has covered 50k!!