1991 Ford Explorer Reviews - Page 5 of 6

1991 Ford Explorer 6.0 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carJeep Wrangler

Summary:

Go with a late model ford pick-up.

I just recently bought my explorer 4 weeks ago since I have bought it there has been problems with the heater and a/c. Transmission blew 1000 miles after gotten. Which in means could have been the dealer. But from many I know that have or have had one say they have had nothing but problems with the transmission.

General Comments:

For the most part the explorer got me to where I needed to go before the transmission went. And it is a very good handling and comfy ride. I have a 1979 ford f150 4wheel pickup and have never in it`s whole time had a problem. So if you are planning on a ford buy an older truck.

Review Date: 4th April, 2002

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer from North America

First year of ownership1992
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

A good performer

Due to the low mileage use, I've replaced the exhaust system and catalytic converter once, at 26,000 miles.

The minute the rust-through warranty expired, the rocker panels began showing signs of rust. I had them replaced at my cost, but I'd recommend yearly inspection of the rocker panels before the warranty expires.

The over-55 miles per hour vibration began when the odometer showed 50,000 miles. The vibration was excessive, and the Ford dealer wanted $2,500 to reconstruct the suspension, which wasn't guaranteed to work. I replaced the tires (they were "cupped") and installed new quality shocks, and the vibration has been mostly cured, although it is detectable.

General Comments:

Overall, I've enjoyed owning my Explorer. It's been very reliable and fairly maintenance-free.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll buy another Explorer. My next SUV will be built on a car body for a smoother ride. When the time comes to sell, I'll be sorry to see the Explorer go.

Review Date: 23rd July, 2001

1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2001

Summary:

A sexy little SUV that packs a punch

Transmission replaced, 62,000 miles.

Power window motor, replaced.

Undercarriage rust formation.

Complete brake overhaul.

4x4 trigger malfunction.

General Comments:

A semi-reliable SUV with various perks and downfalls. Sometimes it's a race car and other days it's a tractor-trailer. Comfortable and decent. Drives nicely.

Review Date: 8th April, 2001

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0 V6 Automatic
Previous carPontiac Montana

The car has been totally redone, shocks, tires, etc.

General Comments:

Great car, good for a teen, safe, and happy that we found one, and with the new engine the car should last a long time!

Review Date: 26th January, 2001

1991 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 from North America

First year of ownership1997
Distance when acquired120000 miles
Previous carDodge Daytona

Summary:

If you can buy cheap and fix yourself, go for it

Clearcoat finish is wearing off.

Front and rear bumpers, severe surface rust.

Rocker panels are completely rotted.

Valve cover gaskets failed.

Transmission leak.

Driver's seat foam breakdown & track broke.

Radiator tanks leaked at the seal.

Engine cooling fan cracked (no accident, from stress).

General Comments:

Terrible handling over rough surfaces. Ultra high performance shocks ($100 ea) helped make it liveable with.

Far too sensitive to tire balance. Chassis harmonics cause all sorts of shakes and vibrations.

Paint failure and rust are so common on these vehicles they are not worth buying if out of warranty.

Stay away from the 5 speed models.

Review Date: 6th January, 2001

6th Sep 2001, 00:10

My 1991 Explorer XL 4x4 has 182,000 miles. Bought it 2 years ago for $3500 with 165,000.

There is some question in my mind about mileage though, because the tires are 235/70R-15 and the door post calls for 225's.

I replaced the rocker arms right away, and haven't noticed any problems with valve cover gasket leakage before or since.

The XL didn't have clearcoat, it's in great shape except the rockers & rear wheel well edges. MN uses salt on the roads.

No problems with the 5 speed or auto 4x4, except for the front hubs. I took 'em apart, cleaned, sparingly used synthetic wheel bearing grease and they still wouldn't fully disengage. So I bought new manual hubs ($160 pair + $20 for an install kit) and the autos have worked fine ever since.

Armrest is broken.

Converted the A/C to R134a for $42 (K-Mart).

Gas mileage is pretty bad - I'm used to a Honda, but if you have some tools and mechanical curiosity, I think there will be a lot of these on the cheap market soon.

Thanks for reading, Ray.

25th Feb 2004, 09:04

I bought a 1991 Ford Explorer, it now has over 200000 miles on it and it runs great. The only problem is rust under the doors. But it is a very dependable. I wish I had a newer, but it will work for a old car.