1991 Ford Explorer Reviews - Page 6 of 6

1991 Ford Explorer 4.0 liter from North America

First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 4.0 liter Manual

Nothing ever went wrong with this truck. The truck never went to the shop! All parts were original.

General Comments:

My mother bought this truck new off the lot in 91 and gave it to me in 97 when I got my licence. I'll admit I was a dumb kid and beat the crap out of it. I put it through 3 major accidents, and it held up like truck should. My last winter with the truck I was on my way home from work and someone ran a red light and hit me and caused $9,000 in damage! The truck still ran! I could have put head lights on it and driven away. Ford gets 2 thumbs up with me, I'll drive another one any day.

Review Date: 7th December, 2000

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer from North America

First year of ownership1991
Most recent year of ownership1997

Summary:

A nice car but troublesome

Well let's see... It was a great car, real sharp, had power and would go anywhere.

It also had lots of problems:

Seat beat buckle receivers were plastic and would come apart about once a month, would have to take it to the dealer. Finally after 2 years of that they gave us metal ones.

Transmission - after having it under the extended warrenty and having it slip a lot, they kept saying it was OK. A week after we had it slipping and this time they said it was bad but for 2 years before that it was supposedly fine.

Tons of little problems too.

General Comments:

Nice car, bad manufacturer.

Well I thought maybe I could do better so I traded it in for a 97 Explorer. Same problems plus a blown engine at 50,000 miles - supposedly because something we had fixed by Ford was not fixed.

Now have the 2000 Jaguar S Type.

Review Date: 13th November, 2000

24th Jan 2001, 21:28

I have a 1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 and it is the best car I have ever owned, I have never had any problems and it drives great. I don't see how many things could have gone wrong. My engine has over 110,000 miles and it was in a rough terrain and some highway and city driving. The car is a dream and in 4 wheel drive it is a real tank. I love it!

1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L V6 EFI from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 4.0L V6 EFI Automatic
Previous carIsuzu Space Cab

Summary:

A fun, dependable, SUV

The bearings in the A/C went.

General Comments:

Being the second owner of this vehicle I am surprised that it runs so much better than any other vehicle I have owned. This is a FANTASTIC Sport Utility Vehicle.

Review Date: 26th September, 2000

29th Mar 2001, 21:38

I couldn't agree with you more, an awesome vehicle!

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L from North America

First year of ownership1996
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 4.0L Automatic
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

Best of breed, especially if you plan to keep it for many years

Battery, starter, alternator, radiator, transmission (at 97000KM), 4WD actuator, locking hubs and electronic control module.

General Comments:

An extended warranty covered all of the above so I'm not upset. The warranty cost $CDN 1500 and I got $CDN 3500 back in value. Most of the replacements were general wear and tear.

This is a solid, generally reliable vehicle. We had one accident and were well protected. Gas mileage is poor but comfort is wonderful. A good solid design.

Just traded my '91 Buick for a '92 Explorer XLT. We're hoping they'll mate and have an Escort soon.

Review Date: 17th August, 2000

28th Aug 2006, 10:51

Hi,

That IS funny! (The Escort thing) So are you "expecting" yet?

24th Sep 2006, 00:18

I agree with the person above. Your last comment was hilarious! I too own a ford explorer, 91 an di love it so far. no problems and its my first SUV. gas IS terrible, but I feel great sitting high on the road instead of low like in my old accord.