1989 Ford F150 Lariat XLT 4.9 L6 from North America

Summary:

A really solid reliable truck that still turns heads after 23 years!

Clutch master cylinder at 135000. Replaced clutch pack and resurfaced the flywheel at that time. Also replaced slave cylinder and hydraulic line. New trans fluid too.

Replaced leaky oil pan gasket when the M5OD trans was out for the clutch.

Rear end fluid/gasket also at 135000. Looked like sludge. Smelled worse!

Driver's side of bench seat worn through.

Replaced door speakers due to dry rotted factory speakers.

Intermittent wiper switch bad. Works manually.

Paint severely coming off on cab roof, hood, and front fenders.

Headlights are severely crazed. Hard to see at night. Tried to polish, but too far gone.

Front gas tank fuel pump not working. Gauge still works. Rear still works as new.

Left rear leaf spring slipped out a little. Still driving it like that.

Air conditioning has never worked since I got it. Fan switch has to be shimmied to get it to turn on.

Exhaust has an annoying tick on acceleration.

General Comments:

I haven't done most of the miles that are on this truck, but I plan to keep her for another 10 years.

It starts up immediately in any weather since I tuned it up. Plugs, wires, air filter etc.

I use synthetic oil now, since the oil leak is fixed. Not a drop in my driveway!

The torque is backbreaking off idle, but the engine has little top end on the highway (5 speed manual). Gas mileage is around 18 MPG or a little less.

I've never has a smoother shifting manual trans. This has the Mazda M5OD.

I had a tire blowout Nascar style last year, so I had the rear fender fixed up and the failing paint resprayed. Now I get lots of looks at a decent old truck! New Cooper tires gave the old lady a lot nicer ride, so I sandblasted the rusty old wheels, and repainted them with graphite wheel paint by Duplicolor. Another nice touch!

The cassette player still works, and the new speakers (Walmart) blow me away! Now I just have to find more used tapes (eBay).

I use this truck to haul loads of firewood furniture, misc property, and even pulled a few stumps from my landscaping. No better way to remove a large bush I say...

The cooling system is rock solid. The temperature stays put on the hottest days and the coldest. Heat works really well. Some day I will have the A/C fixed.

Brakes are great too. Stops on a dime!

I drive my car back and forth to work, and love to drive my old truck on weekends. She is still going strong...

Review Date: 29th June, 2012

1989 Ford F150 XLT Lariat 5.0 from North America

Summary:

Bulletproof

Transmission at 300,000.

Rear end at 280,000.

Cats got clogged, and cracked exhaust manifold at 325,000.

All this was probably due to hard driving habits, and using it as a wood truck for 5 years.

General Comments:

Very tough and reliable. The motor has never been touched; never even a valve cover off.

The alternator, A/C pump, water pump, and power steering pump were all stock.

Sold the truck at 376,000 miles for $200. Still ran strong, but the body looked like it had been to hell and back.

The 5.0 is the best motor Ford ever built, with the exception of the 300 inline 6.

Review Date: 31st May, 2012

1989 Ford F150 XLT Lariat 4.9 EFI inline six from North America

Summary:

This truck is the backbone of America

Alternator replaced at 200,000 miles.

Repainted factory color 50,000 miles.

Seats are ripping and worn out.

General Comments:

This truck isn't fast, but sure is powerful and strong.

However the cabin isn't very comfortable.

This truck will pull a house down. However it takes skills to do it.

Review Date: 3rd December, 2010

1989 Ford F150 Custom 4.9L I6 300 from North America

Summary:

It is a beast!

New clutch at 146500 miles.

New brake lines at 146500 miles.

Needs motor mount soon.

Rear gas tanks leak.

Gas gauges don't work.

Small rust spread out throughout truck.

General Comments:

I love this truck to death. I bought it when the engine and tranny went up in my Prelude. It has had some problems, but so does any 21 year old truck.

It has a 4 inch suspension lift with a 2 inch body lift, and 32x11.50R15 Wrangler MT/R tires with 15 inch American Racing Outlaw rims.

This truck can make it through almost anything, and the 4.9l I6 is bullet proof.

Review Date: 22nd February, 2010