1992 Ford F150 XL Flareside 4x4 5.8 liter from North America

Summary:

Great truck

I have had my F150 Flareside 4x4 for about 11 years, I am the 3rd owner.

I met the 2nd owner at the dealer, he was trading in the Flareside for a new Ford 4X4. He had not planned on trading the truck in, but the dealer gave him too good of a deal to pass up. He knew the original owner, and as far as he knew, all was stock except the dual pipes from the cat. converter.

The truck has an automatic tranny, 5.8 liter V8, A/C, automatic locking hubs/shift to 4x4 on the go.

I have never replaced a U joint, ball joint, gas tank, or transmission.

I do use synth. blend oil and trans. fluid. I change oil and filter every 3k miles, I have changed filter and trans. fluid twice, and I regularly grease where there are certs. I do not neglect my truck, this is like not feeding or taking good care of a child, bad; this will happen if you do not take care of what you have.

I have had the A/C upgraded after losing charge about 10 years ago, it is still cooling great.

I had a fuel pump high pressure hose blow out, about 10 years ago, no problem since.

Last thing I changed was just because I had the time and money to buy and install a Jasper built 5.8 engine, the old motor was not using oil, it has a minor oil leak at the oil pan gasket, but I never had to add oil between changes. She had 206,000 miles on her though.

I really have been blessed with the truck.

General Comments:

I have been really happy with my truck, I use it daily, and fortunately only have to drive it 14 miles a day.

I would not be afraid to take my truck across county, but I would hate to due to the Jasper motor now only gets me 10 miles per gallon city and 13 miles per gallon hwy. With the original motor, I got up to 17 miles per gallon on the hwy.

Review Date: 7th February, 2010

1992 Ford F150 XLT Flareside 302 from North America

Summary:

Good truck, bad rust

Rusty frame issue.

General Comments:

Rusty body + frame, but try to restore. These models 1992 to 1996 F-150's short box standard cab Flaresides are probably the nicest truck out there, but you need the 5 litre or (302) motor.

But now I have to sandblast everything underneath of the truck. But if Ford won't rustproof or undercoat, it's your responsibility to do it. I worked at a scrap yard for many years. I see what comes in. Usually rust overcomes mechanical issues.

Review Date: 9th October, 2009

1992 Ford F150 XLT 5.8L 351 V8 from North America

Summary:

Great truck!

The water pump failed at 183,000 miles.

A brake hose blew at 194,000 miles.

The A/C compressor failed at 201,000 miles.

The muffler rusted off at 208,000 miles.

The inner door handle fell off at 214,000 miles.

The front window got broke when a small rock it it at 218,000 miles (not the truck's fault).

General Comments:

This is a great truck. It has great passing power with the 351, and is still fairly fuel efficient.

I bought this truck in 1999 for $ 2,000. I got it for so cheap because it had high mileage. I'm still driving it today with 235,000 on the odometer with a low amount of repairs.

The truck has very good V8 power, it will beat some vehicles from a red light. And is a very safe highway merger. Even with lots of power, I still average about 14 MPG city, and about 20 MPG highway. Which isn't too bad for a truck this size.

Overall, the truck is pretty comfortable. The ride is a little bouncy, but I think my rear shocks might be causing that. The seats are very comfortable, they are vinyl, so they get hot in the summer.

I have a 8-foot bed and can haul lots of things.

Overall, a great truck!