1992 Ford F150 Custom 4.9L six cylinder from North America

Summary:

Best $2500 ever spent

No major repairs. I put new tires on it when I bought it. A few months later I went through the brakes, exhaust and suspension, more as prevention than immediate necessity.

General Comments:

The bed is in bad shape and the front fenders need to be replaced. The interior is in very good shape, especially with the rubber floor. The bench seat is sinking daily on the drivers side.

Review Date: 7th January, 2004

5th Feb 2005, 22:43

Love my Custom too. Sorry to hear that you had to spend so much money though. I have a '92 with over 200,000 miles on it. I have had it for almost a year and only spent $400 on it. Best $400 I ever spent. I have also had no major problems with it just some normal repairs, you know Ford problems, ie TWIN I BEAM SUSPENSION. It has got new ball joints, brakes, shocks, and a high pressure power steering hose. by the way make sure that you watch that hose. The design on that is not so swell. Look down at the bottom of the line where it goes into the gear box on the steel line. Where it makes that dip tends to catch dirt and water and salt, make sure to keep that area relatively clean. The bed has held up nice on mine on the inside, but the wheel wells in the front and back are rotting out. Overall I think that it is the best truck I have bought yet for the price!!! I will drive it until it dies!!!

11th May 2005, 16:22

Bought '92 Custom for $1000.

Very reliable, drive it on 8 hour road trips to and from school on a regular basis.

New tires, tie-rod, brake-lines are the only things that I've replaced/fixed.

Just a little rot around the wheel wells, nothing major.

It has 145,000 on it, and I hope it lasts to 200,000.

1992 Ford F150 300 straight six from North America

Summary:

Burn evil truck burn

Both fuel pumps failing.

Alternator caught on fire 4 times.

Transmission went out 3 times.

Lights staying on with electrical switch's in the off position.

Ciggarette lighter actaully caught on fire.

Both door handles on the inside broke every 5 months.

Entire fuel system failed at about 100,000 miles.

General Comments:

The funny thing is that all the problems that I listed were not mileage related.

I paid nothing for this truck and I still got ripped, never accept free fords from your relatives.

Surprisingly enough it lasted over 300k miles.

Everything catches on fire on these trucks.

Thank god the alternator had a recall on it, fire damage in engine compartments is expensive.

The smell of the burning electrical systems still haunts me to this day.

The coolest thing ford has ever done was when they circled the problem in their emblem!

Review Date: 24th November, 2003

13th May 2006, 00:56

Dude, you're whining about reliability issues with a truck with 300k miles on it? That someone gave you? Friend, just make sure nobody gives you a Dodge or else you'll really have something to complain about.

13th May 2006, 13:11

I concur 300k on a car you got for free. You have no right to complain. There is no such thing as a free lunch,

26th Aug 2007, 19:27

After you and your family have driven this vehicle for eleven years and accumulating THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES, this truck owed you absolutely nothing at least 150,000 thousand miles ago.

I just can't imagine if it was that horrible a truck, why you and your family would torture yourselves by owning it for eleven years and averaging approximately 30,000 miles per year.

I am not excusing Ford for some of its shortcomings, but let's agree you and your family easily got your moneys worth out of this vehicle, and in my opinion really can't complain.

I have owned vehicles which I have HATED in the past and have parted with them quickly. I also know other people which have owned the same make and model who absolutely love the model I detest. The lesson I have learned is buy what you like, and can afford, but if it doesn't work out for you, it doesn't mean that they are a bad choice for everyone else. Enough said, and be grateful for 300,000 miles whatever the circumstances.