1997 Ford F150 Reviews - Page 4 of 15

1997 Ford F150 4.6 from North America

Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Ford tough!!

Dealer and I split cost on lower ball joints, shouldn't have passed Mo. vehicle inspection.

Transmission rough 3-OD and back, shift points out of whack. Did research before I bought it, found out it is common and to do a full tranny flush and filter. Got truck $1800 under book I think because they thought tranny was bad. $175 later and it runs like new.

Sticking interior light switch, spraying it out in the morning.

Love this truck!!!

Review Date: 9th November, 2006

1997 Ford F150 XLT 4.6 V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.6 V8 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Caprice

Summary:

I would not buy another

Alternator died, killing two batteries. Two tune-ups since I have had it. Parts are very expensive!

General Comments:

Needs to be more reliable and gas mileage is terrible.

Review Date: 13th September, 2006

1997 Ford F150 4.6 V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.6 V8 Automatic
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

One of the worst trucks in almost all categories

Here are the items of failure for our 1997 F150.

90,000 replaced radiator, heater core hoses, thermostat, plug wires.

100,000 replaced radiator fan and water pump.

125,000 replaced harmonic balancer and shocks.

130,000 replaced ball joints and tie rod ends.

150,000 will not pass inspection due to cataylic converter failure and two other sensors.

General Comments:

This is the most disappointing and expensive truck we have ever owned to maintain. At this point we will probably junk the vehicle rather spend any more money.

Review Date: 9th August, 2006

10th Aug 2006, 20:01

That's what you get for buying the first year model.

But some of that is normal maintainance. Shocks for example... maybe you pulled heavy loads or carried a lot of stuff. You never know.

26th Oct 2006, 12:10

No this was just the worst year for ford ever those F-150's are junk!!! get a 1996. Ford truck

1997 Ford F150 Lariat 4.6L Workhorse from North America

Engine and transmission 4.6L Workhorse Automatic
Previous carSubaru Legacy

Summary:

259,000 mile Ford workhorse runs like new

When I got the truck it was in rough shape. The air filter hadn't been replaced since new. I've never seen such a black air filter. Replaced motor oil with Full Syn Mobil 1.

Truck had an ugly topper and I got rid of that. I pressure washed bedliner and it's just black now.

Mechanically this car is perfect with such high mileage. Ford built this truck to last.

Has leather seats, 6 disc CD changer, electric brakes and so much more. If you're getting an F150, get a LARIAT MODEL. Ford put extra effort into these.

General Comments:

Runs like a dream. Detroit to Atlanta at 5 in the morning non stop at 268,000 miles.

I love this truck.

You sit high and boss people around. I love tailing people when they go slow. They get so intimidated it's not funny.

If you have a big ego, this is the TRUCK for you.

4X4 is amazing.

When you buy, the first thing is change the oil. Plenty of truck owners don't change their oil regularly or their air filter.

Tranny runs smooth.

Engine light comes on, but at 269,000 you got to expect that.

Leather seats need regular care. You must moisten them often.

Truck can do some amazing burnouts. More than enough power to stay in the speed lane.

I will never regret this purchase at such high miles. My parents though I was crazy; but now I'm hauling their furniture cross country for a price.

Stay away from the dealerships, those guys are full of bull. Some are racist, too. I saw them tell a black customer they didn't have a part for his truck, but they had it for mine and we drive the same truck. I chased the guy down and we drove back to the dealership, and I told them if they didn't tune up this guys car like new, I was gonna represent him against them and take them to the bank. They told us to get out. 3 weeks later he drove off the lot with a brand new 2006 F150 SUPER CREW FOR FREE, and $300,000 settlement, and I got $150,000 and all I wanted was a $12 air filter.

Don't believe the hype; owning an F150 is cheap besides the GAS. I would buy an F150 again, but get one used if you can and invest all the money you saved.

Review Date: 11th June, 2006

13th Jun 2006, 22:24

Put on a K&N air filter and you should get much better horse power and some extra horses.

14th Jun 2006, 07:59

Way to represent! Show those dealers they need to get out of the 1700s.

2nd Nov 2008, 13:47

I got 4 new F150 pickups free when a Ford dealer only gave me 7 spark plugs when I paid for 8. Went back and told them that I thought it was on purpose and I would take legal action. They settled with me by giving me 4 new 07 F150s off their lot.