1998 Ford F150 Reviews - Page 2 of 10

1998 Ford F150 SuperCab XL 4X4 4.6 from North America

Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Built Ford Tough and Reliable

Replaced the clutch at 140,000 K.

Replaced the A/C clutch at 210,000 K.

Replaced the alternator at 180,000 K.

Replaced the battery at 140,000 K.

General Comments:

I have had this vehicle since new. It has been the MOST reliable vehicle I have owned. For a truck this vehicle rides very well. In hindsight, if I could have had the 5.4 L engine in a manual transmission, I would. The towing power was not good with the 4.6.

Since the motor was somewhat underwhelming, I also used more fuel due to my heavy foot.

Deer and Fords do not mix, and I need to replace the truck. I will be buying a new Ford F150 Crew, and I hope this new truck is as good or better than the last.

Review Date: 4th June, 2010

1998 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L 330 CI from North America

Engine and transmission 5.4L 330 CI Automatic
Distance when acquired120000 miles
Previous carFord F350

Summary:

Loud, clunky, torque, drives like a train, dependable, what more could you want in a truck?

While, the engine is plenty powerful, and literally bullet proof, the air induction is faulty. The mass Air Flow Sensor (MAFS) is faulty. This is not just once but three times I have replaced it with a factory insert. This problem can be solved however with a after market MAFS.

A equal problem is the lack of add ons to the truck. Trying to find a lift or a modification can be a grueling process.

Bolt pattern is rare.

General Comments:

While this is just a F150, we have to remember this is a truck and not a sports car, so it won't drive like a sports car. It does have exceptional handling however from earlier models.

The 5.4 liter engine has plenty of pulling power, even with the rich mixture due to faulty mass airflow sensor.

With modifications and add-ons this is one beautiful truck. Handles well, pulls well, torque, fun in the mud, and great all around vehicle.

I have racked up more than 151000 miles on the engine with only minor replacements, and it still runs like a champ.

Review Date: 17th March, 2009

1998 Ford F150 4.2 V6 from North America

First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 4.2 V6 Automatic
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

The 4.2 was made by Dodge

I bought it brand new, loved it, but after a couple years the head gaskets went out. So I replaced the head gaskets, then the oil pump went out and blew the engine. I put another engine in it; the same year, same everything, and what do you know, the head gaskets went out on it.

It's sitting in my yard, and don't know if I'll get it fixed. I love Fords, but the 4.2 V6 is junk.

Review Date: 28th December, 2008

28th Dec 2008, 11:43

Time to buy a Chevy or GMC :)

1998 Ford F150 5.4L V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 5.4L V8 Automatic
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Takes the abuse and keeps going

Vacuum leak in cheap plastic tubing

Coil went out (still under extended warranty)

Suspension has gotten squeaky after 200,000 miles

Muffler keeps blowing off the exhaust (should have been dual exhaust) tried new clamps, new mechanics and even welded it.

Seat belt on drivers side retracts poorly (more of an inconvenience than a real problem)

Seat cushion on drivers side has flattened on outside making it uneven (too many ins and outs)

Check engine light, O2 sensor and MAF sensor codes.

Alas, at 247,563 hard miles, my oil pump is going out (hence the research)

General Comments:

This has been an extremely reliable and hard wearing truck. After acquiring her in 2001, she was my truck and babied appropriately. Until the vacuum leak and the coil issues (which, by the way, showed up as O2 sensor problems as well.) We were still making payments and didn't have the money to cover the part of the repairs the extended warranty didn't. We actually drove with a really rough idle and acceleration for a couple thousand miles, until we were able to get things taken care of.

In 2005, my husband took her over and used her up as a commuter and hauler for the security business he works for. He has put the majority of the miles on her and he is hardly a stickler for maintenance. Most people change oil at 3,000 miles. For him and his busy schedule it became more like 30,000 miles. Amazingly, this Ford stood up to the abuse with hardly a complaint.

There weren't any major problems until after the 200,000 mile mark. He bought another truck and gave me back "mine." Now we are getting back into O2 codes and MAF codes. And the dreaded oil pump replacement. I can hardly complain after she held up so well through all that stop fast and go fast traffic.

Even after all the miles and abuse, there is still less road noise and a smoother ride than his new truck (another of the Big 3.) Plus my stock radio and speakers are still holding up and his is giving him problems.

I'll take my worn out Ford over one of those others any day.

Review Date: 30th August, 2008