1993 Ford Festiva 1.3 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Here we go again

All of these needed when the vehicle was purchased: Headlight relay, speedo cable, and rear wheel bearings. Came with a stock radio, so that and the stock speakers had to go.

General Comments:

Normally one can't really write a serious review on a vehicle that they have only driven for 600 miles, however I owned an '89 Festiva for 11 years and put 140K on it before putting it down at 210,000 miles. That was about 6 months ago.

It's probably enough to say that when the '89 died I went out and found another to replace it. Actually it never did die. Was running and driving when I donated it to a local charity. The new(er) version is a '93 with 98,000 on it. Fully expect to get at least another 100,000 on this one. Like I said, I've only put 600 miles on it which is 2 tanks of gas (10 gallon tank) and it's come in at a tick over 38 MPG in mixed driving.

For a more in depth review check my earlier post under "Closest I've ever come to driving for free". The '89 and '93 are basically the same vehicle.

Review Date: 26th October, 2018

27th Oct 2018, 18:58

How much do you have in it?

29th Oct 2018, 16:06

I used to carpool with a guy who bought a new Festiva after his Camry died. That car was the archetypal c***box: everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, on that car felt lightweight and flimsy, from the thin doors to every piece of plastic in the interior, moreso than any other microcar I have ever been in (until the arrival of the Smart car). An old air-cooled VW Bug is a tank in comparison.

1993 Ford Festiva L 1.3 gasoline from North America

Nothing has ever gone wrong with this car. I have had 2 other Festivas in my travels, one I bought new, and retired to a student at 100k, (who still drives it at 300k) a white one I bought when the kids no longer needed booster seats, and this one I drive now. Collectively, they may be the Model T reincarnated. Always runs, always gets us from point A to B.

My only complaint is not with Mazda/Ford, but with the industry, as 12" tires are getting scarce. Oh, and a right hand factory door mirror would be a welcome addition.

General Comments:

These cars will go forever. They are a basic econobox, the Japanese and Koreans getting the plusher models with cloth sun roofs, air conditioning, fancier seats and stereos, but hey, for a car I just gave a grand for (and my other one cost $800), I have no complaints. Stereos can be installed easily, seats can be plushed up with sheepskin seat covers, add-ons are abundant.

In a world with cars that are impossible to identify what part does what, these are refreshingly simple to work on.

I commute 7 miles each direction to work, and can go almost three weeks on a tank and a little change if I need to.

It uses no oil, has a new timing belt, I replaced the plugs for fun, it did not need them, and this one has the stopping power my first one never seemed to achieve.

In its defense, that first car followed my 1980 Fiesta, which was an awesome car as well, but stopped a lot better.

For a car that is more than 20 years old, its seats are not split, just cracked.

Review Date: 7th August, 2015

9th Aug 2015, 02:59

These are a surprisingly solid piece of equipment. Ford could use a few vehicles of such simplicity, quality and durability in their lineup today :)

1993 Ford Festiva GL 1.3 liter from North America

Summary:

Outstanding

Nothing so far.

General Comments:

This car had sat for 7 years in a college parking lot. Paid $300 for it & put a quart of new oil in & 1 gallon of fresh gas, & jumped the battery. The second time the car rolled over, it started up. Drove it home. Got its regs. & insurance, & inspected the next day; it needed nothing. Total cost in the car so far $444.50, then filled the fuel tank & drove 100 miles & got 44 MPG.

Then put in racing plugs & wires, a K&N air filter system, & put Lucas in the 3 speed trans. & in the engine oil. Also 1- 5.25 oz. of Lucas in every full tank of gas. Then filled the tank full & drove 100 miles & used 1.9 gallons of gas. That's 52 MPG. The car's weight is 1700 lbs.

My wife & daughter love this car. I also put Lancer 1995 15" wheels & tires on.

Review Date: 8th June, 2015