1993 Ford Festiva 1.3 Carb. from Australia and New Zealand

Excellent, Reliable & Cheap!

Have only had a few minor problems with the Festiva over the years. These include the hi-beam wearing out, the CV joints wearing out due to improper maintenance and a few minor interior items.

The CV joints needed replacing at about 140,000km and the clutch is coming up for replacement.

The hi-beam stalk wore out and was replaced. However, this was done incorrectly and another stalk needed to be installed.

The fuel door has also come off the top hinge, which disables it from being remotely released.

The minor interior items that have been replaced due to general wear include: the driver's sun visor, floor mats, rear light covers (cosmetic, due to fading) and the rear parcel shelf.

The seats are in good condition considering that the car was used to transport children around for 10 years and the interior appears to be reasonably durable.

General Comments:

This car is zippy and very economical. Although it won't win in street races, it is a very affordable and decent first car. (I have dragged a Barina and won!)

The fuel consumption of this car is very low (6.4L / 100km) and is ideal for somebody concerned about the expense of a car.

The maintenance costs of this car have been very low and mechanics have informed me that the WA Festiva is one of the most reliable cars they have ever serviced.

I would highly recommend this car to anyone seeking an economical runabout because of the range of features the car offers for such a low price.

Do not be fooled by the small appearance of the car, it is quite roomy for both front and rear passengers.

Review Date: 11th April, 2005

16th Apr 2005, 22:27

Your comments on the ford festiva are the same as I have experienced. My shocks have gone in the rear and I have to try and get new rear light lenses and the lights do not facilitate replacing just the orange lens ouch. I am glad to read that I am not the only one experiencing such concerns. My CV joints have gone as well Ouch and the make is not too readily available.

10th Jun 2005, 21:56

I got replacement tail lights from a wrecking yard and it has made the car look newer. They took a while to change, but it was definitely worth it.

The wheel bearings made a howling noise when they were coming up to be replaced.

30th Aug 2005, 03:18

Just an update, the howling wasn't from the wheel bearings, it was from the bump guard at the front of the rear passenger door becoming unstuck and howling in the wind.

I want the face on my original post changed to a yellow smiley face! I didn't choose the white face...

1993 Ford Festiva Trio 1.3 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Capable, not extraordinary

Had to have steering re-aligned.

Left front speaker often buzzy.

Had to replace the clutch at 210000kms.

Carpet is pulling up.

General Comments:

Not a bad car. Actually fairly enjoyable thing to drive, with adequate performance, so long as you plan your overtaking a few days in advance.

Lovely 'adrenaline rush' effect when you go a little too hot into corners - sometimes feels like it's going to roll.

Seats get a bit hard on the rump after an hour or so, but the cabin is quite spacious and can fit 5 people in relative comfort.

Economy is excellent, as is visibility and parking. Not so sure the same could be said about safety though, I think some motorbikes have better side-impact protection.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2004

1993 Ford Festiva 1.3 from North America

This car is a must have car

My ac pump went at 68,000 miles.

My alternator started to go at 70,000 it has not yet totally gone.

General Comments:

This car is a beast for power-lines and off roading.

It handles quit well in a rollover.

Review Date: 11th July, 2004