2004 Ford Focus Zetec TDCi 1.8 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Too much pain, too little gain!

Fuel injectors needed replacing at 90k, which cost over £1000.

Clutch went at 93k, costing over £600.

I put petrol in the diesel engine by accident at 95k and drove it 10 miles. Had the engine drained with no further issues.

General Comments:

I bought this car on the strength of the recommendations of several people who I shall not be listening to again.

Good Points:

* The car is quite fast, in a straight line.

* The CD player is OK.

* It looks quite sporty.

* Good on the motorway.

Bad Points:

* Noisy

* The drivers seat is too high up - even when wound down to the lowest level.

* The power steering is awful and has an unsettling 'elastic' feel to it.

* The cabin takes ages to warm up.

* Fuel economy is not great, although I do drive it quite hard.

* Stalls easily.

* Hates being driven slow. Don't even try to get out of 3rd gear unless doing more than 30mph.

* Poor clutch design means expensive clutch parts.

* Expensive fuel injectors.

Review Date: 25th January, 2010

2004 Ford Focus LX 1.6 petrol from Israel

Summary:

Medium

Rear brake shoes - again and again.

Water pump (cause overheating).

Door sealing rubber.

Instrument panel fuse.

MAF sensor.

General Comments:

5/10.

Cheap plastic everywhere, bad automatic transmission, runs on too much petrol, not reliable.

Review Date: 25th October, 2009

2004 Ford Focus SE Wagon 2.0L Inline 4 from North America

Summary:

Ford finally managed to build something that runs!

Nothing has gone wrong with the car. Surprisingly.

General Comments:

It's a decent car actually. I bought it because I needed a new car because my Maxima took premium gasoline and I just couldn't afford to fill it with these rising gas prices.

While I probably should have bought a Honda or Toyota, since they hold their value so much better, I don't really regret buying this car. I drive about 750 miles a week and it held up beautifully with no problem.

It could use a little more power; the inline 4 it has sometimes has a difficult time, but I'd say that's because it's the Focus wagon. Its gas mileage disappointed me as well. I expected more than 28 mpg out of that little 4-banger.

Throughout it's entire 140,000 mile life with me, I never had it tuned up and it never had a problem. It really surprised me actually, I didn't expect much of it being a Ford, especially since I've had some trouble with Fords in the past. But this is a great little car.

Review Date: 19th July, 2009

20th Jul 2009, 10:20

If you do get it tuned up your mileage may improve. Spark plugs and wires aren't that expensive. They are not designed to last 140 000 miles.

22nd Jul 2009, 10:14

Actually, when I first bought the car brand new the best mileage I ever got was 30 mpg. While new plugs and wires could've made a difference it wouldn't have been much. I'm not a fast driver, the fastest I ever went in it was 70 mph, and my average was about 60. So the poor mileage was definitely not due to wasteful driving.

22nd Jul 2009, 16:18

And besides I no longer own it.

2004 Ford Focus Flight 1.6 Zetec from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Bag of wet smelly sticky stuff!!

2 weeks old - passenger airbag popped when stopping normally at traffic lights.

4 weeks old - rust spots all over the car.

2 months old - rust spots reappeared.

Would never fire up first time from cold.

6,500 miles - speedo reached 60 mph, and would not change, even when switched off.

10,000 miles - knocking from front wheels when turning hard left.

CD Player started smoking and ceased to be.

13,000 miles - clutch burned out going up a hill.

13,200 miles - clutch cable snapped.

14,000 miles - Car sent back to Ford, never did get full paid amount back!!

General Comments:

A very smooth, rapid and quiet car - when it worked and wasn't on the back of a tow truck.

Most people with the Focus are more than happy with it, I think I must have had the Joker of the pack. It has put me off Fords for life though!!

Review Date: 7th July, 2008