2004 Ford Focus SE 2.0 Zetec from North America

Summary:

A good idea

I bought this car brand New, and I have only had the car for a week. I have experienced few things that have gone wrong.

I have been getting worse gas mileage than expected, but its not broken in yet. So I will wait it out.

I have been having a hard time getting it started. It feels like the timing might be off.

However I wouldn't know, all I have ever owned is used GM & Volkswagen products.

I don't like the speakers being in the doors. I am working something out with my customs mechanic on getting box speakers installed in the trunk. Very tricky.

General Comments:

I was very skeptical about buying a Ford product. I was also comparing the Focus to a Tempo that my family owned. Which isn't comparable at all.

The Focus is generally fun to drive, in most cases its power equals that of my Buick Regal's V6. Except for when driving up hills on the freeway it has a hard time keeping speed, even when cruise is on.

I love being able to park where ever I want to. Its small compact size is great, especially when the interior is decently roomy.

I am glad I chose the Focus over the Dodge Neon or the Chevrolet/Geo Metro I was looking at.

Review Date: 3rd June, 2004

9th Jan 2005, 01:35

Well Its been 8 months and I am loving every minute of my car. Its been snowy, had a little trouble, put some chains on didn't like the way they felt and took them off. Drives well on compact snow and ice I was surprised.

Doors have been locking automatically, just as I start the car and warm it up I leave and then come back to go to work and its locked. I don't know why!

2004 Ford Focus Ghia 1.8 TDCi 115PS from UK and Ireland

Summary:

More of a drivers car than even the mk5 Golf

So far so good - no faults.

General Comments:

I was holding out for the mk5 Golf, as I'd had a mk4 TDi PD 115 which I liked a lot, but which had suffered from lots of niggling faults.

Drove the mk5 and was very disappointed. Found it harsh and unrefined next to the mk4. Performed well, but the interior looked cheap and the steering still felt vague and overlight like the mk4.

Drove the Focus (top spec Ghia 115 TDCi with all the options is still three grand less than the GT TDi 140 mk5 Golf) and thought it took the Golf apart as a driver's car. Now the Golf has lost its gorgeous interior, it has also lost its main appeal. Focus steers better, rides better, goes almost as well (25 PS down, but nearly 300kg lighter) and is generally just nicer to drive.

Gripes - the interior plastics are low rent with the same brittle, shiny quality as a 1983 Sierra I once owned. Seems well put together though. Also the seats make your butt go numb after 100 miles or so. Not something I noticed on the test drive.

Good points - great performance with amazing in gear punch, 47 mpg average and so far 100% reliability. Still a great drivers car too with a slick gearbox, good positive steering and incredible agility.

Well worth a look.

Review Date: 29th March, 2004

2004 Ford Focus SE Sport 2.0 litre DOHC Zedtec from North America

Summary:

A good replacement for the discontinued Mystique

I have recently purchased the ford Focus SE Sport and I find that the rear left wheel arch liner was not installed. The dealership could not explain why this liner was missing as some Focus SE models on their lot had all wheel liners installed. I have had the whole car treated for rust protection and have also purchased the missing liner and intend to have it fitted. I do wish to know the reasons why Ford is omitting this liner on some vehicles and whether this is a Company decision or an assembly mistake.

General Comments:

Is there any good reason why the left rear wheel liner is not installed on some Focus SE Cars?.

Is there a fire hazard in installing a wheel arch liner becaus of its proximity to the exhaust muffler.

Cars not having wheel arch liners are prone to premature bodywork corrosion. This is a particular concern for Canadians where so much road salt is used during the winter months.

Review Date: 22nd March, 2004

23rd Mar 2004, 09:53

A whole review about a plastic wheelhouse liner.

The Focus did not replace the Mystique, it replaced the Escort/Tracer.

23rd Mar 2004, 14:53

Why not write something else about the car other than the wheel liner. And like the last guy said, the Focus did not replace the Contour/Mystique. I used to own a Contour. Once I got my 18th (not joking) recall, I dumped it for my Jeep which I had been wanting for a long time. Never again will own a Ford product.