2004 Ford Focus Edge 1.8 TDCI from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Great chassis, awful engine!

Air bag sensor failed at 80,000 miles costing £200 to replace at Ford dealership.

Metal on metal sound coming from front right suspension since 60,000, not resolved yet.

Loud clatter upon start up and turning engine off.

Very stiff gearbox in cold weather.

Remote central locking has never worked properly.

General Comments:

The Focus is a bit of an enigma for me. I have wanted one for many years as I have heard rave reviews about their handling. Now that I have one, I believe I have bought the wrong model!

The Edge has reasonable equipment, but still no trip computer, which the Ghia model does. Front heated screen would have been nice, but I opted against it so that's my problem. Good plastics inside compared to LX versions of the Focus.

Chassis wise its fantastic with heaps of grip, and being a front wheel drive car, just a tad of understeer when pushed. Limited body roll makes it a hoot to drive, and the seating position, although rather high, is nigh on perfect with good leg room and head room.

However, engine wise it's awful. The Edge diesel engine has supposedly 115bhp, but I think whoever designed the gear ratios weren't thinking clearly at all. Seemingly only 3rd gear has any pull and in any gear, there is a magical barrier of 3,000rpm where all power quite literally disappears! Loud on start up and when turning off as well.

Economy was a massive disappointment as well. Having never owned a diesel before, I was looking forward to saving some serious dosh on fuel costs. However, lack of 6th gear and my high motorway mileage has actually made it just as bad as my petrol used to be! Great for around town, but rubbish economy on the motorway, even when only doing 70-75mph.

Looks wise, brilliant subtle alloys matched with a nice rear spoiler makes the Edge look really good, and with a better engine and a 6th gear I'm sure it would make a brilliant car. Considering a Mk2 2.0 Focus, now but hate the looks of the Mk2!

Review Date: 8th May, 2008

9th May 2008, 18:50

A quick update... getting rid of the focus and probably getting a fabia VRS, should be much quicker with a 6th gear.. cruise control... trip computer and a nice nimble chassis.

2004 Ford Focus TDCi 1.8 diesel 74Kw from Belgium

Summary:

Perfect drive and cheap to buy and keep!

We bought the car secondhand from a Ford Dealer and told us it had full maintenance.

A couple of weeks later the engine stalls mostly at traffic lights, and was unable to start the car for 20-40mins? Ford dealer changed a flow sensor or some sort under warranty. Afterwards I checked the airfilter and it was packed with dirt and was all cracked from pulling vacuum. So I replaced the filter straight away and never had problems again.

General Comments:

This car is a marvel to drive.

Sporty feeling and very economical (specially the TDCi).

The comfort is bit poor, especially long drives!

It's cheap to maintain yourself, even dealers are cheapest around, but you need to find a good one!

Review Date: 11th January, 2008

2004 Ford Focus from North America

Summary:

Expensive to keep up

The first year was actually pretty good. But after the car hit around 30 thousand miles we began having issues. The brakes have been replaced 2x, we're on our third set of tires, a new front bearing, and the car still shimmy's and shakes at highway speeds.

General Comments:

We were the happy owners of a Ford Tempo that was like the Duracell Bunny - the Focus hasn't been even comparable.

Review Date: 31st July, 2007

2004 Ford Focus Ghia estate 1.8 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Good car - crap customer care

Dealer discovered the scuttle cover was warped and needed replacing.

New scuttle cover over pollen filter fitted, and anti-bacterial spray treatment applied - the cost was over £44.00.

As the car is less than 2 years old I suggested it should come under a warranty replacement.

The dealer said I would have to take the issue up with ford.

This I did and the Ford customer service department stated they have no history of there being a problem with the Focus scuttle cover, and they would not honour any refund to me.

I said that I have the part that was removed and would be willing to sent it to them. They stated there was nobody Qualified to look at it in the customer care department.

My last car was also a Focus and it too had to have the scuttle replaced on the second years service.

This equate to 100% failure in under 2 years for each car to me. Do others have the same problem?

General Comments:

The car is running quite well - though I have difficulty selecting reverse gear sometimes. (It won't engage at first attempt).

The ABS and Traction control work well and have got me out of trouble on a greasy road this week.

It is turning out over 50MPG and has not used any oil.

It is a shame Ford is cutting corners with unreliable plastic covers that appear not to be re-usable.

I do not know if I would buy another Ford.

Review Date: 30th November, 2006