1996 Ford Mondeo Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 2.0 petrol 16v Automatic
Distance when acquired193500 kilometres
Previous carFord Falcon

Summary:

Good honest car with great ride and OK performance

Had a flat battery, the warning chime didn't function correctly.

General Comments:

Excellent ride and handling.

Performance is OK in economy mode, but car transforms and holds revs to 6000 RPM in each gear when in Sport mode and O/D is switched off. It's like a different car!!

Seats comfortable, good driving position. Part electrically adjustable driver's seat.

Review Date: 3rd December, 2012

1996 Ford Mondeo Ghia 2.5 V6 from Poland

Model year1997
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 2.5 V6 Automatic
Previous carRenault Clio

Summary:

I think it is a very well designed car

Hi everybody. I hope I got a good car. I just bought this car and I like it.

I have a little problem with the power over higher RPMs, and I saw the links how to fix it, but I saw the cable that is going to the intake valve is almost broke. Is there any part number or some other way to replace this with something else?

And I'd like to know if these engines have oil consumption problems, because mine is taking about 1 liter in 2000-3000 km. I know it is not normal, but I don`t know what should I do. Is it a big deal to fix it?

Thanks.

General Comments:

The comfort is just super, and I just am just surprised that many things are still working; sunroof, all windows, alarm central locks, only I can't get the key fob to work.

Review Date: 7th October, 2009

1996 Ford Mondeo LX 1.8i from UK and Ireland

First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 1.8i Manual
Previous carVauxhall Vectra

Summary:

Simply stunning!!!

Temp gauge was reading too high. I thought it was over heating, it wasn't - after £300 of work replacing the cooling system (water pump, sensors, etc) all it was was a faulty dash gauge! No worries though, got a dash out a scrap yard for £10... problem sorted, gauge reading in normal range. Got my timing belt renewed at the same time as the work done for the cooling 'problem', so not such a waste of money as a timing belt these days is around £200 anyway.

Slight misfire, heard it's a common problem with Mk1 Mondeo's - gave it a service and replaced HT leads - problem sorted.

General Comments:

Excellent car, very reliable even at 13 years old, this is the last of the Mk 1 Mondeo's on a P reg 1996 plate. Car drives really good - handles excellent, performance is good from the 1.8i engine, but if you want performance I'd go for the 2.0i Zetec or the 2.5 V6 models, the 1.8i is not really any more than adequate, but that does me fine, I'm not a fast driver.

Comfort level is very good, seats are great, adjustable, so is the steering wheel. LX models and upwards are the ones to go for - electric windows, etc.

Does around 38 - 40 mpg, as expected for a 1.8 petrol engine.

Overall the car is really good, just little niggly problems you need to watch out for as these Mk 1 Mondeo's are really old now, not many about... I'd go for the Mk 2 shape (1996 - 2000) model, they look much better and there's still plenty around. But if you find a low mileage Mk 1 Mondeo with history, go for it, it's a great car.

Other things I've been told to watch out for is front suspension wearing out prematurely, and the clutch is expensive to replace on these cars for some reason.

I also had a Vauxhall Vectra before this car... now there is always a lot of debate between fans of Ford and Vauxhall over which is the best car...I've had both so I'm not biased, but I'd have to come down in favour of the Mondeo - it's just a more comfortable car, and drives better, but the Vectra was an OK car as well, I've nothing against it, it doesn't deserve the unfair criticism it's got, despite the Mondeo being the better car.

Oh and does anyone know the procedure for reprogramming the infra red remote keys on the Mondeo Mk 1! I've tried various ways suggested by some websites online, they didn't work! I'm not going to Ford to pay a bill just for the keys to be remote! Please comment! Thanks!

Review Date: 28th August, 2009