1992 Ford Sierra Sapphire 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

New alternator as it was overcharging the battery.

Some interior trim wear and tear.

Regular maintenance such as oil changes and new brakes/suspension when it needed them.

General Comments:

This vehicle was used privately before becoming a taxi later in life. It was in general good condition and taken care of as much as possible throughout its life.

Driving a Sierra is nothing special, but it is a comfortable and well equipped car. The 2.0 petrol engine accelerates adequately enough with some rear wheel slip if you put your foot down hard coming off roundabouts on a rainy day, which I made a habit of because it was fun. Naughty boy, I know. It was a popular sight on UK roads and used by many different drivers, some enthusiasts, some not.

Mine was light blue with a nice set of alloys and looked decent enough. Interior was dated looking even back then however, but it was logically laid out and comfortable.

Economy and reliability were its strong point. So simple to work on even the most inexperienced person with a Haynes manual could tackle major jobs on this car.

The rivalry between this car and Vauxhall's Cavalier still exists today in the Ford Mondeo and Vauxhall Vectra/Insignia. But back in the 80s and early 90s these two cars were always debated among motoring journalists and public alike as to which is best. After owning both I can comment there is very little in it and it comes down to what you prefer. Both are good reliable cars if you look after them, and I dare say that's the same of modern Fords and Vauxhalls as the years went on, no matter what you preferred.

In conclusion the only Sierras you will see on the road today are much cared for and sought after Cosworth models. Is it old enough yet however to be a called a classic by definition? Maybe not, but I remember a time when these cars seemed to be everywhere. Haven't seen one in years. I'd buy one if I saw an ordinary 1.8 or 2.0 model again though. Some may laugh, but those in the know respect it as a good car. After all, I'd get the last laugh, you can't fail to feel nostalgic for the simplicity of cars from this time period - remember to change the oil, timing belt, battery, at specified periods (most people forgot) - and it won't break down, period. Sorry I can't say the same about more modern cars which seem to be back and forth to the dealers with electronic glitches and injector problems, mostly on diesels I might add. I'm not going to deny modern cars have come a long way in terms of driveability and safety, but I still miss simpler times.

Review Date: 3rd September, 2016

1992 Ford Sierra GLXi 2.0 DOHC from UK and Ireland

A great car considering its age

Apart from usual service stuff, it's had a rear caliper, a radiator, a complete exhaust system and a cylinder head gasket.

While I was in the engine, I replaced all the oil seals and gaskets at the top of the engine, as well as the timing chain, tensioner and guides. The car has been serviced at 5.000 mile intervals.

General Comments:

Yes I still have an old Sierra Estate. It has masses of luggage space and is pretty comfortable old bus.

The body is very tidy and rust free.

I use it mainly for longer journeys, it still goes like a rocket and frequently surprises people driving more modern motors.

It cruises quite happily on the speed limit, and if you want a bit more it just pulls and pulls.

Review Date: 1st September, 2009

1992 Ford Sierra LX 1.8 from UK and Ireland

It suits the amateur mechanic

'Little end' (piston) bearing broken when the vehicle was acquired.

Distributor was faulty.

Lower arms needed replacement.

General Comments:

The steering is very heavy at low speeds.

But the engine is very easy to service, quite easy to remove and replace, and reliable enough so far.

Being an estate, it is easy to load and very useful, with a surprising amount of capacity.

It is comfortable and I feel safe driving it.

Review Date: 9th April, 2006

9th Apr 2006, 14:32

Looking at the rust on most surviving Sierras, I would say "it suits the amateur welder" rather than "It suits the amateur mechanic."

14th Apr 2006, 12:48

There is not a lot of rust on mine because I've undersealed it. I haven't got into welding yet (a can of Hammerite and some filler will do for now) but shouldn't a mechanic have a welder as part of his toolkit too?

16th Aug 2006, 10:32

All cars rust some quicker than others, just look at early Sierra's, these were bad for rust, late Sierra's are sooo much better and if you look after it then it'll last for ages!