2004 Ford Taurus Reviews - Page 3 of 5

Model year2004
Engine and transmission 6 cylinder Automatic
Most recent distance102000 miles
Previous carJeep Grand Cherokee

Summary:

Bad Transmissions

I blew the transmission at 100,000 miles with most of it highway. My brother-in-law blew his '04 SES transmission with 72,000 miles the week before. The mechanic told me the transmissions that are on these cars are very poor. He had two more waiting to have transmissions put in. There was also a waiting list for parts. Consumer Reports graded it as an excellent used car; I do not know why.

General Comments:

I like the car; it rides nicely and quietly. With the transmission problems however, I would not recommend it.

Review Date: 23rd January, 2008

15th Mar 2008, 15:35

Funny how my '01 Taurus has 125k miles on it with the original transmission? And my '04 Taurus has 72k with the original transmission as well. I am guessing you and your brother drive your cars rather "spirited?" Or you don't follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance for the vehicle, whatever the case may be it seems rather odd that your transmissions went out so prematurely while mine and others I know who regularly maintain theirs are still in good shape.

17th Mar 2008, 21:12

I must agree with the above comment, the transmissions in the Taurus may not be the best but it is extremely strange that they would blow so early in the life of the car. My 2004 Taurus has 132,000km and the transmission shifts nice and smooth. It also has quick response for forced downshifts when passing...

19th Apr 2008, 18:42

Attention to all! Don't let your car rock back and forth when you park (use the parking brake that's what it's for) it will destroy the transmission. Parking on an incline with hurt it also. I have an 01 Taurus I bought brand new and it has 146000 miles on it and it still shifts like brand new. I also found that when coming to a stop, allow this particular transmission to shift itself instead of forcing it by slamming the accelerator. You still have to drive this car pretty hard (this little V6 loves to be aired out) just allow the car to fully downshift when comming to semi-stops. Feel the car... BE the car.

2004 Ford Taurus from North America

Previous carBuick Skylark

Summary:

You buy a Taurus, you take a gamble

We bought a used 01 Taurus with 56,000 miles on it. Looked and drove like it had been a very well cared for vehicle. 3 days later, it started leaking tranny fluid. After 3 visits to dealer, they replaced the tranny.Didn't feel good about having a used tranny put in, so we traded for an 04 Taurus with 15,500 miles. Shortly thereafter the catalytic converter had to be replaced because of a rattling noise. One month later it started rattling again. Ford said that's normal operating noise. At 25,000 miles the tranny started leaking on this vehicle as well. Combine this with poor fuel economy and you have a poor product. At that point I was fed up with the Taurus so we traded for a Chevy Monte Carlo.

Review Date: 3rd January, 2008

23rd Jan 2008, 23:48

Ew good luck with the Monte Carlo. The powertrain in the Monte Carlo will likely be more reliable than in the Taurus, but the rest of the car will fall apart rather quickly. Also, the Monte Carlo will not hold its value any better than the Taurus.

15th Mar 2008, 15:30

I agree with the last comment, good luck with the Monte Carlo. Just wait till your intake manifold gasket blows up and you start leaking coolant into the engine. I am not a big Ford fan either, but all 3 used Fords I own have cost me less in 3 years than the last NEW Chevy I owned cost me in 1. Good luck.

2004 Ford Taurus SES 24 valve duratec from North America

Model year2004
Engine and transmission 24 valve duratec Automatic
Previous carChrysler PT Cruiser

Summary:

Great car for the price

Nothing has gone wrong on the car so far.

General Comments:

I purchased this car about a month ago and since then have put about 1000 miles on it. When I drove it off the lot it had about 24900 miles on it. I love this car. The duratec responds with noticeable power at both low and high rpms. I am finding myself looking for reasons to go and drive, and with gas prices so high, the average of 23 miles per gallon is nice. The only complaint I have on this car is that the transmission seems to be a little jerky. It is very smooth on the down shift, but on the up-shift, especially from 3rd to 4th, is very jerky.

Overall I would have to say this is my favorite car I have ever owned and it will be part of the family for years to come.

Review Date: 1st June, 2006