2004 Ford Taurus Reviews

2004 Ford Taurus SE 3.0 from North America

Previous carLincoln Town Car

Summary:

Great car for the money

Tires changed at 30k and at 90k.

Transmission went out at 100k.

Speakers bad at 15k.

Check engine light at 100k.

Alternator out at 110k.

General Comments:

I traded my Town Car for better mileage, and got about the same on the highway as I did with my Lincoln. I made it up in town though.

The car is laid out nicely, if not a little bland. I have the flex fuel V6, but I have never used E-85.

I am disabled due to a spinal injury, and have a hard time getting in and out of the car, but once in, it has a very good ride.

Review Date: 21st December, 2010

2004 Ford Taurus SEL 3.0 from North America

Year of manufacture2003
First year of ownership2009
Previous carChevrolet Monte Carlo

Summary:

Could be better

My radiator hose blew and stranded me, which wasn't that bad... but in the same day, about 100 miles later, the transmission blew as well!

General Comments:

It's very comfortable and pretty to look at, but I need a car that RUNS!

Review Date: 26th March, 2010

2004 Ford Taurus SEL 3.0 from North America

First year of ownership2009
Distance when acquired190000 kilometres

Summary:

Awesome car

Nothing.

General Comments:

I'm a 19 year old student. I have the car now for about a year, and it's been nothing but good to me.

Very surprised by the gas mileage for such a big engine. It doesn't drink all that much.

I've spent $30 on the car since I have it, and it was for an oil change.

I would recommend this car to anyone.

Review Date: 14th January, 2010

2004 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 Duratec from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0 Duratec Automatic
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

Very good so far, much better than the 92 Taurus I had previously

The main issue that I had with the car was that squirrels got into the engine compartment and chewed the front 3 ignition wires. I had to have the car towed for the first time, and it cost 700 dollars in repairs. It would be nice if there was some kind of cover to protect these ignition wires. The 3 wires on the rear of the engine are covered by the intake manifold so they are protected. Otherwise, I have had no major problems with this car.

General Comments:

I had the transmission flushed at 60000, and plan to get it done again at 120000. I hope to get 200000 miles out of this car. I drive an average of 20000 miles per year in this car.

The Duratec engine gives it a nice pickup when passing other cars. This car has the leather interior, power sun roof, and remote key entry / lock.

The front seats could be more comfortable, I sometimes find myself using the cruise control in order to stretch out my legs.

I paid 12000 dollars for this car, so I think that I have gotten my money's worth so far.

Review Date: 1st January, 2010

5th Jan 2010, 12:11

"...squirrels got into the engine compartment and chewed the front 3 ignition wires... and it cost 700 dollars in repairs."

A set of ignition wires shouldn't cost more than $50.00. Your squirrels must have done extensive damage.

We had rodent problems too. I don't want to make a long story out of it, but I can tell you that dead baby mouse odor is stronger than "Febreeze". I resorted to put mothballs all over the garage.

2004 Ford Taurus SE 3.0 from North America

Previous carLincoln Town Car

Summary:

Cheap. In quality and looks

Transmission light has came on several times and has started to slip and shift roughly. Took the car in for diagnostic on the transmission. Was told the computer was going bad. Transmission fluid is slightly dark, but is full. I think a filter and fluid change would solve the problem, and not a $1000.00 computer change.

Have changed the battery once and need to do so again. It has gone dead while sitting for a month. Changed tires twice. OE Continental tires are horrible.

General Comments:

I have a bad back and I am six foot tall, I find it hard to get in and out of the car. Power seats are hard to find a good fit.

Review Date: 25th October, 2009

2004 Ford Taurus SES 24 valve DOHC from North America

Engine and transmission 24 valve DOHC Automatic
Previous carChrysler PT Cruiser

Summary:

So far so good after 3 years

The only problem I have had with this car after 37000 miles, is that after about a year of owning it, I started hearing a rattle from under the hood at about 2k rpm. Brought it to the dealer and it turns out a heat shield had rattled loose. They replaced it under full warranty.

Another thing is it seems to scream a little when it gets started up after a cold Missouri night. I have always let my cars warm up for a while when it's below freezing out. First 10 seconds after initial start it screams a bit. Besides that, no other issues at all, has been a great, very reliable car.

General Comments:

I really enjoy this car.

Biggest complaint I have is the 4 speed auto. A 5 speed would have been much better.

The interior is very quiet at highway speeds of 70 mph.

Average MPG I get is about 25. It isn't great, but it's not horrible I suppose either.

I bought it used for 10,990 in 2006. For 11 grand this has been an amazing deal and very reliable. I have gone on numerous 1k+ mile roadtrips and have never ever felt worried that anything was going to go wrong.

I just hope that the trans sticks in there with me, I hear they have a lot of problems.

Review Date: 30th April, 2009

1st May 2009, 14:29

Hi.

I used to own a 2001 Taurus. I wouldn't worry about the transmission. When I traded my Taurus at eight years and 138K, the car was still intact; the build quality superb.

The ultimate fate of my Taurus was when carbon built up in an engine valve causing it to MASSIVELY vibrate upon a cold start. I wanted to keep my Taurus, but it was worth a new engine.

I wrote review #110663. Look under the 2000 Taurus (the manufacture year of my example) for "The best car purchase that I have ever made in my life!"