1995 Ford Windstar Reviews - Page 19 of 31

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3.8 from North America

First year of ownership1998
Previous carMazda B2300

The head gasket was repaired two or three times, there have been so many things wrong with this vehicle that my wife and I cannot keep track. The last time it was repaired the VA dealership blamed the RI dealership for an improper repair resulting in catastrophic engine failure (cracked engine block). This was the replaced after 2 weeks without the van, with a Ford rebuilt engine. The reason for the two weeks was because the part was on national back order because so many engines have failed.

The transmission slipped, was rebuilt in RI, then failed again. The dealer apologized for placing the wrong gear set in - this again failed when we moved to VA.

4 starters have been placed in this vehicle.

Power lumbar seats pump failed required replacement.

Power windows -- motor failed and required replacement.

Various electric problems such as O2 sensors and other dummy lights, causing the car to consume excessive amounts of gas and shift improperly.

Air conditioner recently failed, $800 replacement parts.

We have not seen a five month stretch of time without a multi-day service repair needed.

General Comments:

I swore when I bought this car that I would not buy American and I would not buy a first model year. My wife and I were impressed with the room for our growing family. But it does not do any good sitting in the shop.

If you buy this car, buy a very good extended warranty.

Review Date: 23rd August, 2001

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3.8L from North America

First year of ownership1995
Engine and transmission 3.8L Automatic
Previous carMazda Protege

Summary:

An unreliable vehicle with comfort

My key got stuck in the ignition twice shortly after I bought the vehicle.

My alloy wheels had to be replaced due to pitting at about 20 000 km.

My hood latch had a recall and still came un-latched on the highway.

My head gasket blew at 96 000 km then the bottom of the engine immediately failed after they fixed the head gasket.

I had a recall on the sliding door.

My interior light stays on after the car is parked for the night.

I had to replace my tie rod at 60 000 km.

General Comments:

This has got to be one of the most comfortable vehicles that I have ever owned.

However, the stress of not knowing what is going to break down next makes me cautious about buying a Ford vehicle again.

Review Date: 14th August, 2001

27th Feb 2003, 14:16

This probably won't relieve your stress, but the transmission will be the next thing to go (or maybe the water pump...).

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3.8 L from North America

First year of ownership1995
Engine and transmission 3.8 L Automatic
Previous carPontiac Grand Prix

Summary:

It's falling apart

New/remanufactured transmission.

New head gasket at 101,000 km.

New timing cover gasket at 101,000 km.

General Comments:

Just a note to let you Windstar owners in Canada know that I have pressured the dealer to fight Ford on my behalf twice... and it worked. A $2600 remanufactured transmission a year ago cost me $500. Today I paid 0 for a new headgasket and $215 for a new timing cover gasket (bill was $1000). I asked the dealer to support me when talking to Ford and they did. What a relief. I wish I had the $$ to replace the van, but not this year.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2001

28th Aug 2006, 11:12

My name is Ken O'Hara. My wife Lynn and I own a 1995 Ford Windstar with a 3.8L engine. A head gasket blew and we where force to leave the Van in Canmore ALTA. We live in Courtenay BC. I have just returned from a 2100 Km two day trip to recovery the Van. I towed it on a trailer. This Van has only 136000 original km. I have read a lot about this problem on Lemon-aid. I need to contact Phil Edmonston, but can't find an email address. Can you help me? My email address is oharafamily@telus.net

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3.8 from North America

First year of ownership1998
Previous carFord Ranger

Summary:

The van is very comfortable, but what good is comfort if it doesn't run.?

Transmission overhauled at 72K, covered under the extended warranty purchased by the previous owner.

Head gasket blew, covered by a recall.

Power window on driver's side does not work. Estimated cost to repair is $400.00. We haven't decided whether to get it repaired.

CD player doesn't work; planning to get it replaced.

Transmission slips just before coming to a full stop. I took it into the dealers and they didn't see a problem with it. Test drove it while the mechanic was with me and he said there was nothing wrong with it. I wonder when this problem will snowball into something that will cost me.

General Comments:

The vehicle drives nicely.

The seats are very comfortable, especially as compared to our 1999 Mercury Villager.

Review Date: 24th July, 2001