1993 Geo Tracker 1.6L from North America

Summary:

I love driving this car

My automatic transmission has to be in low 2 until it warms up. Then just slip it in drive and go. Changed filter and fluid and vacuum modulator and it got a little better.

Original convertible top, Back window zipper has small tear.

General Comments:

This vehicle is very easy to maintain and economical.

The interior is very roomy and easy to adjust.

Adding a cold air intake increased the MPG by 2.

This is an awesome little car for the money.

Review Date: 4th March, 2008

1993 Geo Tracker LSI 1.6 8v from North America

Summary:

Extremely reliable offroad vehicle

General maintenance done (fluids, exhaust work, bearings)

Exhaust header cracked (replaced with aftermarket)

Tranny staring to slip.

General Comments:

If I can say one thing about this Tracker, it is a tank. I used it for daily driving purposes until about 2005, then also got into offroading it. I lifted the Tracker 2 inches and got new wheels and 30 inch tires for it. I thought it would have only been a modest little 4x4, but so far it has conquered ANYTHING I can manage to throw at it.

Even in all the offroading I've done recently, nothing has gone bad in all of it. The engine runs superbly and the tranny still shifts well (starting to slip around corners now when I drive it to school, that's it) Other than basic maintenance and the things I put in for the lift, it's all still factory parts.

I have gotten into several accidents with this Tracker, most just causing scraps and bumps on it, but last summer it hit a car and screwed up the front end a good bit (bent frame, stuffed engine mount, bent steering shaft) Even through that, the thing will still start right up and drive fine (I'm still driving it 80 miles daily to school and back)

When the inspection runs out on it this summer (won't pass again due to the bent frame) I'm converting it to be strictly my offroad vehicle, and I look forward to its years of service it will provide me down the road.

Review Date: 22nd February, 2008

1993 Geo Tracker LX 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

What a blast to drive!

Computer control module failed the first week I had the car.

General Comments:

I bought my Tracker used with relatively low miles - 73k- for $2,250.00. I had to buy a new top ($90.00 on eBay) and spend several hours with rubbing compound to bring back the shine to the paint.

The first week I had it the computer control module failed - I got a replacement (eBay again) for $90.00. Since then (3,000 miles) no problems. I added some 4x6 speakers so the cassette deck now rocks!

Here's my review after 3 months of ownership:

1. This thing is a blast to drive. Living in so. cal. I can pretty much keep the top open all year - love the fresh air and sunshine! While actually pretty slow, it feels fast (like the old British MG's and Austin Healys from the 1950s). I can rip through the 5 speed stick and roar along at 45mph. The steering is quick - turns instantly - strong brakes.

2. Ton's of room inside. I'm 6'2" and I've got plenty of space to stretch out. The seats are very comfortable.

Rear seat folds up - plenty of room for 6 grocery bags.

Tall windshield - panoramic visibility.

3. Park it any place - super short - it fits in spaces that are too small for anything, but a mini.

4. Just OK on gas for such a small car - gets 25 in town, 30 on the highway.

5. While it CAN keep up with freeway traffic, it's a bit buzzy and noisy. It really shines on the local country roads.

6. Parts are cheap if you search the web - local shops will rip you off. Pretty easy to wrench yourself. I've got the older 8 valve motor - things are much easier to get to than the later 16 valve model.

In short, I love my Tracker. I get a lift every time I drive it. Top off, cruising along with Hank Williams (Sr.) blasting on the cassette deck - life doesn't get much better!

I'll never sell this thing!

Review Date: 10th January, 2008

8th Apr 2010, 21:45

Follow up to my earlier post. I'm now at 85,000 miles. No further problems. I replaced the plugs with iridium units and installed new cap/rotor and plug wires. Huge difference. Revs faster/ much smoother.

Still love driving it!! Now I've got my iPod hooked up to the stereo. I will never sell it!

7th Nov 2012, 15:29

I'm now at 95K. The car runs better than ever. Looks like the tires will never wear out. Still love driving it.

21st Apr 2013, 03:49

Just have one question. Where did you find a new top for your Geo Tracker for $90 on eBay? The cheapest I have seen on eBay is around 179 with free shipping. My name is Jeff, and I look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks. My e-mail is jeffgrizzard70@gmail.com

18th Nov 2014, 22:51

Just about to hit 100K - no mechanical problems. Still love my Tracker. Now I have Pandora radio playing from my iPhone through the stock cassette deck. I wired in a pair of tweeters - the stereo really rocks now!!! The car is still a blast to drive. Remember the words of Jay Leno - "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow." That sums up the Tracker.