1993 Geo Tracker LX 4 cylinder from North America

What a blast to drive!

Computer control module failed the first week I had the car.

General Comments:

I bought my Tracker used with relatively low miles - 73k- for $2,250.00. I had to buy a new top ($90.00 on eBay) and spend several hours with rubbing compound to bring back the shine to the paint.

The first week I had it the computer control module failed - I got a replacement (eBay again) for $90.00. Since then (3,000 miles) no problems. I added some 4x6 speakers so the cassette deck now rocks!

Here's my review after 3 months of ownership:

1. This thing is a blast to drive. Living in so. cal. I can pretty much keep the top open all year - love the fresh air and sunshine! While actually pretty slow, it feels fast (like the old British MG's and Austin Healys from the 1950s). I can rip through the 5 speed stick and roar along at 45mph. The steering is quick - turns instantly - strong brakes.

2. Ton's of room inside. I'm 6'2" and I've got plenty of space to stretch out. The seats are very comfortable.

Rear seat folds up - plenty of room for 6 grocery bags.

Tall windshield - panoramic visibility.

3. Park it any place - super short - it fits in spaces that are too small for anything, but a mini.

4. Just OK on gas for such a small car - gets 25 in town, 30 on the highway.

5. While it CAN keep up with freeway traffic, it's a bit buzzy and noisy. It really shines on the local country roads.

6. Parts are cheap if you search the web - local shops will rip you off. Pretty easy to wrench yourself. I've got the older 8 valve motor - things are much easier to get to than the later 16 valve model.

In short, I love my Tracker. I get a lift every time I drive it. Top off, cruising along with Hank Williams (Sr.) blasting on the cassette deck - life doesn't get much better!

I'll never sell this thing!

Review Date: 10th January, 2008

8th Apr 2010, 21:45

Follow up to my earlier post. I'm now at 85,000 miles. No further problems. I replaced the plugs with iridium units and installed new cap/rotor and plug wires. Huge difference. Revs faster/ much smoother.

Still love driving it!! Now I've got my iPod hooked up to the stereo. I will never sell it!

7th Nov 2012, 15:29

I'm now at 95K. The car runs better than ever. Looks like the tires will never wear out. Still love driving it.

21st Apr 2013, 03:49

Just have one question. Where did you find a new top for your Geo Tracker for $90 on eBay? The cheapest I have seen on eBay is around 179 with free shipping. My name is Jeff, and I look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks. My e-mail is jeffgrizzard70@gmail.com

18th Nov 2014, 22:51

Just about to hit 100K - no mechanical problems. Still love my Tracker. Now I have Pandora radio playing from my iPhone through the stock cassette deck. I wired in a pair of tweeters - the stereo really rocks now!!! The car is still a blast to drive. Remember the words of Jay Leno - "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow." That sums up the Tracker.

22nd Feb 2015, 21:47

My name is Norma. My son needs a car to drive back and forth to college, and I have found a 1993 Geo Tracker 2 wheel drive convertible. It looks as though people love the car. He just needs a reliable car. It has over 140,000 miles on it, but only had one owner. I need advice as to what to do. It is so important to get him a car in the next couple of days, and this is an easy buy. Thank you.

1993 Geo Tracker from North America

Love it!

When the weather cools down in the fall and spring engine idle wants to hunt or surge.

I had the same problem with my previous 1989 Suzuki Sidekick and two 1991 Metro's.

I have been unable to figure out what the issue is, but assume it is unique to Suzuki vehicles.

General Comments:

I love the vehicle in all other respects. I call it my poor mans jeep.

I enjoy leaving the top off all summer and four wheeling in the farm fields.

I would buy another one if they still made them.

Review Date: 15th October, 2007

10th Jan 2008, 16:22

My tracker had the same "uneven idle" when cold. I took off the e.r.g. valve (bolted onto the manifold underneath the throttle body-held on with 2 bolts) I cleaned it out with solvent and re-installed. problem solved for free!!!