2000 Holden Astra TS CD from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Never buy one again.. serious

Timing belt at 180,000, $600.

Air flow sensor at 200,000kms, $900 + other faults.

Air con new compressor at 220,000, $1,300 from Holden.

Rear power windows don't work, one didn't work when I bought it, the other one went shortly later, $500 each to fix.

The list goes on... and on.

It's just hol'den together

General Comments:

Lemon, cash cow that won't even give milk..

Review Date: 10th February, 2009

9th Feb 2010, 18:28

Yup. you're right, Holden is not good, I have had the same problem since I bought it... rear window not working, problem with all the sensors, ABS light and speedometer light were playing up... I don't know what else... long list... prefer not to buy... that's good advice.

2000 Holden Astra CD 1.8 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Great, well worth purchasing

Best small car ever owned.

Very reliable.

Very economical.

If brakes needed replacing, I use the aftermarket discs not genuine, as these are good quality European discs and cost approx $45 each, genuine are approx $200.00 per pair.

General Comments:

This car is quick for a 1.8 and handles like it's on rails.

I will certainly be purchasing another, as these are safe, strong, economical european cars that are brilliant.

Review Date: 13th November, 2008

2000 Holden Astra City 1.8 EFT from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Great car, but needs a cover over the engine mounts

I have found that the engine mounts are easily damaged, and need to be changed every 2 to 3 years.

General Comments:

This car is extremely safe and can take a hit from most other angles and survive.

It is roomy, unlike the garbage they are trying to sell us in Australia now.

Review Date: 1st March, 2008

2000 Holden Astra cd 1.8 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

This is our first Holden and our last Holden

Air conditioner compressor failed ($1000)

Air conditioner works intermittently.

Expensive major service ($760)

Rear electric window failed ($450)

Remote key works intermittently.

Premature wear on brake discs ($???)

Brakes squeal when reversing.

Key is difficult to remove from ignition (A common problem on Astra's)

Failed to start on a hill due to fuel starvation.

Car falters when taking off with a cold engine.

General Comments:

We bought this car because it had every accessory we wanted. Especially cruise control and electric windows.

Although the car is fast and handles very well, the gear shift is very clunky and the European pattern of having reverse on the left is a pain when reversing out onto a busy road.

We cannot rely on this car as so many major problems have occurred. We take our beaten up old Falcon on holidays just in case.

Holden have offered very poor and expensive service. Much cheaper at our local mechanic.

It does have a very good stereo. This is handy because it gives you something to listen to while you wait for a tow truck.

Review Date: 28th February, 2007

24th Jun 2007, 21:09

A procession of problems since the car was new, and they continue.

Just out of warranty, I had to replace the body throttle ($700).

Air conditioner compressor replaced ($1000).

Rear electric window failed ($700).

This week the left side rear passenger mechanism failed for the second time after it was replaced in 2004. It probably gets used once a week if that.

And I don't get the pleasure of listening to the radio, as it has also become faulty and needs replacing.

It's cost me close to $4000 in repairs, and I haven't bothered fixing the faulty remote locking.

These problems have not been wear and tear problems, just dreadful quality control.

Holden's response has been that things happen and bad luck.

24th Jun 2010, 05:54

Further to the woes I mentioned above, all of the brake discs have been replaced at a cost of $800. The ignition coil pack has also failed. You can't replace just one coil, you must replace the entire unit - $475. The paint on the bonnet has blistered completely off, and the paint on the doors has faded in sections. The car now has virtually no resale value because it looks like it was dumped.

27th Feb 2013, 22:13

Failed to start on a hill due to fuel starvation - add fuel.

Premature brake damage - use one foot when driving.

Brake noise when reversing - refer to above.

And the rest. Seems like common car faults due to lack of care/service/wear and tear.