2000 Holden Astra CD 1.8 EFI from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Well worth the money

There is a funny noise coming from the engine bay - like a gentle ticking noise and we were told by Holden that some Astra's do it. Its something to do with the injector apparently and its nothing to worry about. We were advised that if it annoyed us too much then to fill it will WD40 to drown out the noise.

Needed to replace battery because it dropped a cell, but that was due to a dodgy fitting of a sub and amp.

General Comments:

For $12,000 second hand this car is a dream to drive and own.

It is really quiet on the road. There are no squeaks or rattles in the cabin.

The panel gaps are even both inside and out and the trim in the cabin is robust and looks really nice.

The Cd player has very good sound for a standard head deck and the speakers can pump out some decent sound.

The steering is weighted nicely and relays the driving experience without the harsh bumps it may encounter.

It recovers from potholes and bumps very well.

The seats are nice and firm and support in the right places.

The back seat can be a little tight sometimes for 3 adults.

The boot is huge for a small sedan - it rivals my mums statesman I reckon, for boot space.

The engine is lively with plenty of torque.

Fuel consumption for me is roughly 8 - 10L/100k and I get around 500-600k to a tank (tank is 54L)

Review Date: 10th October, 2005

28th Nov 2007, 23:53

Seriously don't buy an Astra, I have one with 33,000kms on the clock and the engine check light comes on repeatedly. Its just had all of its brake rotors and pads replaced- unheard of in any other make of car with the same K's. The Air flow meter failed - very expensive. The camshaft sensor failed- very expensive as cambelt had to come off to replace. And now the computer has been tested as faulty $3k + to fix and apparently according to holden and auto electricians very common. The electrics in these car are rubbish. Yes it handles well and gets good economy, but if you are going to buy one buy a bucket as well and write Astra on the side of it and start throwing money into it.

2000 Holden Astra CD 1.2 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Its fantastic

Nothing.

General Comments:

I love my Holden Astra, I've almost had it for 3 years and I've found it to be fantastic. It's a great car and I don't have any regrets about purchasing it. I believe I made a good decision when choosing my first car out of all the possible choices on the car market.

Review Date: 9th May, 2003

2000 Holden Astra TS 1.8 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Nice to drive at highway speeds, but otherwise not competitive with Korean and Japanese equivalants

Total failure of starter motor after 20000 Kilometres. Almost 1 week delay in obtaining replacement part.

Pinhole leak in radiator at about the same time. Part available in this instance and repaired immediately by dealer.

Ongoing problem with bad rattle from dashboard, which has never been resolved.

Ongoing problem with bad creaking from drivers seat when going over bumps or undulations. This has never been resolved.

Bonnet release fails to work intermittently. Two attempts at repair, but I have now given up on this.

At 550000 Kilometres the rotors and brake pads (both front and rear) need replacing. This repair will cost over $1000.00 as brake wear is considered normal.

General Comments:

This car is nice to drive at highway speeds, being quiet and sure-footed.

At low speeds first gear is almost impossible to engage, unless the car is almost stationary. At these speeds second gear has no torque making the car very unpleasant to drive in "stop-start" traffic.

The car body feels very tight, strong and rigid. This is backed up by good results in European crash testing of this vehicle.

Dealer service is terrible (Melbourne Eastern suburbs). All services were subject to 2-4 week delays. Some of the earlier services were subject to even longer delays and I was coerced not to record any faults if I wanted to get the car serviced in a resonable time. Parts are not readily available. I had to wait a week for the starter motor and brake rotors are continually in short supply.

I have been told that it is normal for the brake system (rotors and pads) to wear out every 50000 Kilometres. This is totally unacceptable.

Review Date: 5th March, 2003

9th Mar 2003, 06:43

While I have a 2002 model Astra and do not have anywhere the number of kilometers you have, I too have a niggling doubt on the build quality aspect. Overseas reports specifically the UK don't rate the reliability of these cars as very high. I have had problems with rear brakes -the infamous caliper redesign, and trim noises that should not be present in a new car.

The lack of reporting these problems, especially the brake problem ie don't complain and they won't fix it demonstrates the reluctance by Holden not to admit any quality issues which may affect sales.