29th Apr 2013, 02:40

All I can say about the Holden Astra (having owned one for 9 years) is this: Do NOT even consider buying one, they are the worst car I have ever owned. When you have a problem, and trust me you WILL, the only place that is authorized to fix it will be a Holden agent. You will be severely ripped off while you endeavour to fix this car, that should never have seen the light of day.

22nd Jun 2013, 20:46

I own an Astra CD TS. I bought it second hand 5 years ago. Currently done 123000km.

I have it regularly serviced 6 monthly, and that's normally all fine. Had to fix the throttle a few weeks after buying it (still under warranty), and my thermostat recently just failed.

But I find it's all the small things that play up.

Have had to replace my back electric window mechanisms twice.

My roof has badly faded.

My radio turns on full blast - mainly during the colder months.

One of my speakers has blown.

My dash screen has blacked out in most places - can only see the temperature. Can't see the time or radio station.

My Holden logo on the steering wheel has chipped off.

These things are costly to replace, and I don't want to spend another cent on fixing it, as it's not worth it. Looks like it'll be a worthless trade in for me. Won't be buying a Holden again.

27th Jun 2013, 09:17

Check your battery to see if it's leaking acid on the wiring loom. Also get the battery and alternator checked to see if they are any good. I had the same problem with mine; the longer you leave it, the worse it gets.

20th Jun 2014, 04:52

Yeah, my daughter's TS Astra just got diagnosed by a Holden dealer as having a faulty coil pack ($895). They can't check that the computer (ECU?) hasn't been damaged by the faulty coil until a new coil pack has been installed, so we were warned that computer may have to be replaced (additional $1,200). Will probably get non-genuine coil pack and do it myself, hoping the computer is OK. Then will sell it ASAP.

I put in an online complaint to see what Holden will do about it. I expect nothing, but it doesn't hurt to complain.

4th Dec 2014, 10:37

The stalling, I've had problems with too, and have found that it is mostly due to either a faulty air flow meter or an O2 sensor, or a combo of both. You can get cheap parts to replace from eBay, but it won't last long as it's a constant problem throughout all Opels.

7th Dec 2014, 19:34

Same problem with my 2000 model. It was the alternator which charges the battery.

26th Apr 2015, 04:15

I own a Holden Astra 2002 TS. Had no problems till it broke down. I put it into the mechanic's shop, and $1700 later it still isn't going.

New timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, oil filter, new tappet cover gasket, new key barrel, sensor, all parts have been cleaned and replaced.

The car got as far as my house and hasn't started since. Can anyone help me?

Cheers, Anne.

2nd May 2015, 14:35

Hi, my back left electric window unit broke as well. I bought one from Cars Are Us for $50.00 shipped from Brisbane to Perth. I googled how to replace it and did it myself. I found just carefully step by step care of my Opel is going good, but I always search before I buy.

1st Oct 2015, 05:24

I have a 2000 Astra. New radiator, new water pump flushed cleaned. Runs well until stopped; it then heats up pretty bad. Apart from that, not many issues, but I would like to know if this has happened to anyone else by chance...

1st Oct 2015, 19:03

Check the thermostat. Else check to see if you have a head gasket problem.