1998 Holden Vectra JS from Australia and New Zealand - Comments

23rd Feb 2012, 06:05

Mate, throw it in the bin.

25th Feb 2012, 19:45

Hi. I have a 1999 Vectra that stalls occasionally, and seems to rev sometimes for no apparent reason. My problem now is that a light has come on the dash symbolising an engine. I have just clocked up 150,000ks, and am wondering if this indicates a service? I've only had the car 12 months, and have already had the timing belt go.

6th Feb 2013, 16:56

Hahaha.

I have bought one of these second hand. Everything on this website I have had in only 4 months. Don't listen to the defenders of this car with their fixes or stories of having no problems, and don't waste more of your money on repairs. Wreck it, and get some of your money back.

This car is not a lemon, it's a bag of lemons.

12th Mar 2013, 08:01

We have the same problem. My 1998 Holden Vectra JR had an engine light suddenly appear on my panel board. I checked some causes of the problems, like re-tightening the gasoline cover, replaced the battery, checked the engine oil and water supply to the radiator, but still the engine light appears. I have just owned it for almost six months. I also did the pressing the brake pedal 5 times before starting the engine, but still of no avail. Can anyone suggest a fix to this problem? It would be greatly appreciated... Thanks.

JR

6th Jun 2013, 03:32

I own a 1998 Vectra, had it for a year or so. When I first bought the car, it used to stall consistently and even overheat; dash lights would come on, the whole works!

But I've built 44 previous cars all on my own, so I am no beginner.

To fix the stalling, replace the "cam angle sensor" first. While you are at it, replace the water pump and add a new timing belt and cam wheels. The entire job is worth under $300 Aussie dollars if you do it yourself. Don't do the job unless you are willing to replace all those parts at the same time. It really is worth the bother, and you will never have trouble again. Wanna go a bit extra? Replace the crank angle sensor as well.

To fix the problems with the dash lights, radios not working or computer display not functioning...

Undo the battery terminal first (a must), then pull out every single plug in your car one by one. Clean them and place them back in, making sure they are securely plugged in. All of them.

It's a great car, but it suffers from a severe problem, the lack of careful attention to detail one would expect from the car assemblers. Plugs not in properly, head bolts not tightened to specs, and so on. Just spend a weekend looking at all the little things first, keep it clean, use the most expensive spark plugs you can find, and things should be alright :-)

4th Dec 2013, 19:30

My 2000 Vectra 2.2 CD have been with me for 13 years, now with near 150,000 km on the speedo.

The car achieves a balance of performance and fuel economy.

But it has too many issues as mentioned by friends here. Some problems like stalling are dangerous. In my case, stalling happened a few times, spent a few weeks and around $2000 to have it fixed. Timing belt changed three times at around $1000 each. Just a few months ago, spent over $2000 to fix power steering and oil leaking issues.

Now a new problem occurs: sometimes the TC and ABS lights come on and the speedo is gone, especially on hot days. Still trying to find out the reason.

Compared with Toyota, Mazda and Ford cars my wife and I have owned, the Vectra is not reliable and has too expensive a cost to keep.

30th May 2014, 02:45

When buying a cambelt kit (they won't sell separate any more), you get an idler and tensioner included as they are known to fail.

30th May 2014, 03:01

I can't believe I am back here again. My last post was 9 June 2010. If it hadn't been for having a work vehicle for the past 4 years, this piece of crap would have been long gone.

With only weekend use, I have had the head gasket blow with next to no warning, yet another rocker cover gasket fail after only a 1000km use, and now the latest issue; jumped in the car, turned the key and... nothing...

Luckily I was on a slight hill and managed a roll start. It worked fine for 2 more weeks, then 3 days ago I went to leave home for work, and it again failed to turn over.

Also the passenger's front door central lock has failed, and the remote key no longer locks or unlocks the car.

BTW, Daewoo or Opel parts are way cheaper than Holden... about 50% less.

I need to get it going to get rid of it. I will never buy another ever again.

30th May 2014, 14:18

Hi, what's your mileage now? BTW, your Vectra is in fact an Opel.

Add another comment