1987 Honda Accord Reviews - Page 19 of 23

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 2.0 Liter Manual
Distance when acquired120561 miles
Previous carChevrolet Silverado

Summary:

The best first car for any high school or college kid!

Nothing major has gone wrong with this car.

One of the only things I had to do was replace the thermostat.

General Comments:

This car is one of the best vehicles on the road.

It was recently hit in a parking lot at 45 miles per hour and I could still turn it over and drive it wherever I wanted to!

I would highly recommend it to any one who wants a college car.

Review Date: 1st November, 2001

22nd Nov 2001, 03:53

I am the proud owner of a 1990 Honda Accord LX. My problem is with the ignition switch. It wants to keep the key in cold weather. It almost impossible to extract the key in cold weather. Is this a common problem, and if so, is there a cheap fix or a secret warranty.

Barney.

11th Sep 2004, 14:37

My '87 Accord had the same problem, except it was the door locks. I first sprayed WD40 into the keyholes to clean the locks, then applied grease to the keys and stuck them into the locks, worked like a charm..

28th Nov 2006, 00:40

On my current 87' Accord I cannot lock my door without lifting the door handle and pushing the button down to lock it... You can't open the door and push the button down like all other cars... probably something wrong with my locks or something?

28th Nov 2006, 09:42

You have nothing wrong with your locks at all. All Honda's do it. It is to prevent your self from locking your keys in the car. Many times it is too easy to lock your car and forget your keys. With this clever system, you must think about where you left your keys before you lock your doors. I have yet to lock my keys inside my Honda.

1987 Honda Accord LX-i from North America

Year of manufacture1987
First year of ownership1995
Most recent year of ownership2001
Most recent distance199000 miles

Summary:

A great used bargain

I had to buy a new transmission when I bought the car. It was rebuilt and cost around $800.

I had to put a new air conditioner system in the car, that was also pretty expensive.

Aside from those two things, this car has saved me a lot of money over 6 years. It's about to go over 200000 and it's still running great.

It does need a new paint job, but that's from leaving it in the Texas sun for 14 years.

I also replaced a timing belt in 1996.

My fuel injection light keeps coming off and on over the years, but I haven't had to do anything with that.

The brake lamp light has been on since 1995, even though my brake-lamp works. It's not that big of a deal except everyone who rides with you will ask you about it.

I have replaced two mufflers and a set of tires.

I think that is normal maintenance over 6 years.

General Comments:

This car will not die. It is a trooper as far as cars go. I don't think many cars will last over 200000 miles without a major overhaul.

The Accord still has a lot of pep. I don't have to worry about making it across a busy intersection.

The insurance is very low on this vehicle.

If you could find an Accord in the 1987-1991 region under 120000, I would buy it. Now, I base this off of my car. You could have a bad experience from an Accord, but I have not. I think the owner before me was very good to this car.

Review Date: 27th August, 2001

19th Aug 2002, 22:23

Try replacing the tail lights one at a time until the brake light warning disappears. Occasionally, a bulb can blow, yet the filament is still in contact with the circuit. So it lights, but the car's brake light remains on. This has happened to me a couple of times in my 1987 Accord.

30th Nov 2004, 18:50

I have an 87 Accord Lxi. We're at 250K miles and still going on the original engine. I've had problems with the taillight dashboard light coming on, but it's always been accurate. I usually have a light out. The thing I thought you might want to consider re: your car is that I've had my light bulbs occasionally go off and back on due to moisture trapped in the rear light assembly. I took them off and sealed the edges with clear silicon sealant. I haven't had that problem since.