2008 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Nav 3.5 V6 from North America

Summary:

A great looking, fun to drive car that doesn't come close to its reputation for quality

I was quite excited to have purchased a Honda given its extremely good reputation for quality. However I have been very unimpressed so far with the build quality of the vehicle. Upon driving it off the showroom floor, it had a rattle in the rear window "shelf" that required 2 separate trips to the dealer to have fixed. The entire back seat and shelf ware taken apart and reassembled to fix this issue. All under warranty. So far, this has remained fixed.

At about 8000 miles, another rattle developed in what appears to be coming from passenger side rear seat side airbag unit. I have yet to find the time to take it to the dealer for inspection.

At about 11,000 miles I discovered yet another rattle coming from the rear window shelf again.

The fuel door release usually only works after pushing it at least 5 times, and sometimes requires more pushes than that. When I asked the dealer to inspect this during my first oil change, it opened the first time he tried it, so no work was able to be done on it.

General Comments:

I love to drive this car and it looks incredible. I love to walk up to it in the parking lot after work knowing it is my car, but it is frustrating to buy a US $30,000 plus car from a manufacturer with such a high reputation for quality and be so disappointed in the quality of the product. The car drives beautifully, but the build quality is so awful.

I know the dealer will fix this all under warranty, but due to Honda's program of no loaner cars, it is very inconvenient to find a day to sit at the dealer while they attempt to fix my car. I traded my old Pontiac with 98,000 miles before it started to require frequent trips to the dealer. Guess I should have held on to it since even at 98,000 miles there wasn't a rattle to be heard anywhere.

Review Date: 22nd April, 2009

22nd Apr 2009, 19:15

I hope you will have no more issues with your Accord. Just I'm wondering how they can design the tail of such a respected car that ugly?! It's a shame that I could not convince myself to spend my money on a 2008 Accord just for that reason!

P.s. My wife does not agree with the coupe which does not have this problem; We are still looking for a car then!

2008 Honda Accord LX 2.4 from Nigeria

Summary:

Overpriced monster

Impact with the ground.

Fractured engine oil sump.

Passenger airbag activated prematurely.

General Comments:

The car is not designed to withstand ground impact.

The aluminum engine oil sump is the lowest component that will take the hit. (Steel is a far better option for an exposed sump.)

Dealer service is rustic and overpriced. New oil sump is not in stock. Dealer cannot provide the detailed specification of LX, EX and EX-L. LX came with only 2 airbags (what a shame).

Review Date: 25th February, 2009

8th Aug 2009, 21:34

Of course it's not designed for an impact with the ground! It's meant to be driven responsibly! You probably tried to pull a Dukes of Hazard stunt with the thing!

16th Sep 2009, 11:41

This review doesn't make much sense. What kind of impact are you talking about? If you hit something hard enough to break the oil pan, you really can't fault the car for that. There is no engine oil pan out there that will withstand the weight of the car being dropped on it.

As far as the dealer not stocking the part... most people aren't jumping their Accords and that part is very unlikely to fail otherwise. That is like the dealer stocking extra seats or doors in case someone rips one out of the car.

Also, it is going to be expensive when you destroy components that are hard to get to such as an oil pan. Did you think that was a 15 minute job to replace?

Last I checked there are more than 2 airbags on EVERY Honda. My Accord had like 6 of them.