1998 Honda Civic EX Coupe 1.6 liter Vtech from North America

Summary:

Beaten, neglected, but kept breathing

Alternator belt started to go out a little while after I purchased it (not surprising, as it turned out to be factory original belt).

Transmission began to shift very slowly and would slip between gears (common issue on 98s, has to do with solenoids that control shifts).

Interior rotted fairly extensively due to sun and cheap materials in the headliner.

General Comments:

This was my first car, and I honestly loved it. I beat this car for all it was worth, and it never let me down or left me sitting on the side of the road. This car literally saw every kind of abuse you can think off; it saw jumping, sliding, spinning, racing, offroading, dirt roading, deer, -30s, high 90s, 115mph, and road trips as long as almost a thousand miles, and other than tires and a new battery, there wasn't anything that ever stopped it.

It was slow... made the 0-60 run in about 9.6 seconds, and got stomped on consistently by Cavaliers and big heavy mutts alike, but what can you expect out of an automatic four-cylinder of this size?

Small exhaust leak, and v-tech cam system made for a nice sound at high rpms, but stock exhaust was definitely a good choice.

It got great gas mileage, in fact I never saw worse than 29 on a tank, even if I was thrashing it constantly.

Looked pretty decent with the ex package and black paint, and had all the bells and whistles available (PW, PL, CD/tape, power moon roof, map lights, cruise control, AC, cabin recycle, etc etc). It was no Aston Martin, but you didn't feel bad driving it either.

Plenty, of space and comfort for an eco-box. I'm six three and fairly broad shouldered, and there was plenty of driver space for me. On long trips the seats were a tad stiff, but they show little wear because of this lack of comfort.

Bought it, beat it, and it still breathes today. I traded up for a Camaro, but I wouldn't hesitate to grab another 96-00 Civic for a commuter any day.

Review Date: 24th January, 2011

1998 Honda Civic Illusion 1.4i from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A well spent £200

I bought this car for a run to work & back for my wife, & she loves it. Great on fuel, & is quick & nimble.

Nothing has gone wrong with car, except it requires new CV joint & a lower ball joint.

General Comments:

Brilliant car; economical & nippy.

Review Date: 8th September, 2010

1998 Honda Civic EX 1.6 from North America

Summary:

Most reliable car in the world

The only thing that went wrong with this car was the ignition coil. That happened at 125K miles.

Other than that, all regular maintenance and 2 batteries.

General Comments:

I think the 98 Civic was the most reliable Civic ever made. I was a little disappointed when my 2004 Civic EX blew a head gasket at 214K. Had the engine swapped out for an engine with about 50K on it. Got about 260K on the transmission now. I just bought a 2010 Civic LX-S. These are the most reliable, let me repeat, the most reliable cars on the road today. I frikin love these cars.

Review Date: 3rd July, 2010

5th Jul 2010, 18:51

You know, I totally agree with you on Hondas period. I've had many Hondas; Preludes, Civics, Accords... I loved them all!!! They were all used though, and the best cars I've ever had. In 2005, my mom talked me into a Suzuki Forenza because she thought they had a great warranty!!! Huge mistake!! They make a fine motorcycle, but cars just aren't their forte!!! Do they have a web site where I can swap my 2004 for a 1998 Honda Civic?? LOL! For an even trade?

6th Jul 2010, 09:45

I agree with you 100%. All of my Hondas have been excellent vehicles. All of them made at least 250,000 miles without any serious issues. My own personal record for the most miles on a Honda (and on any car I've ever owned) is just over 500,000 miles. It was a '76 Honda Civic that was completely original. For the last 50,000 miles or so of its life (with me that is, I sold it soon after I hit the 500K mark, and it was still running), it had a cracked engine block from a friend of mine who attempted to wash the engine with cold water when it was still steaming hot. It still ran fine. Only problem it caused was it finally started to burn some oil after that.