1998 Honda Civic EX Vtec 1.6 from Colombia

Summary:

Great car

Rear noises began a few months after I bought the car. I took it to the dealer and he replaced a couple of bushings, but the noises continued. I had to go back to the dealer again, and he replaced the other couple of bushings of the rear suspension.

The car had to be tuned up, and now it's great on kpg. 41 kpg in the city and more than 50 on the road.

General Comments:

Excellent car, reliable. Great on fuel consumption. Very comfortable and excellent quality.

Review Date: 24th December, 2008

1998 Honda Civic CX Hatchback 1.6 from North America

Summary:

Good value if maintained

Water pump, starter, muffler, drum brake pistons replaced in 2007.

Speedometer stuck at 30 km/h in 2005.

Aerial stuck in 2003.

Gasket around right tail light went and allowed rain water into the hatch in 2001.

Recall repair done on the ignition switch, and the warranty was extended to 7 years on the manifold.

General Comments:

Generally a reliable vehicle that has started in all weather (+35 to -40 Celsius)

Purchased new in 1998 I am still on my original battery, lights, rear brake pads (!), and clutch.

Okay on fuel and inexpensive to maintain over the 10 year period. This car isn't bullet proof, but it hasn't had any catastrophic faults.

Speedometer will sometimes work at highway speeds, but mostly dances at 30 km/h. I was quoted around $500 to replace the cluster, but I do not think it is a worth while repair. I am guessing I have about 230,000 km on the car, and I intend to drive it into the ground.

Wind noise around the door window seals is fatiguing and there is a lot of road noise throughout the car. Not ideal for long trips or high speed travel if noise bothers you.

Tasteful interior design that still looks good presently. The dash and seat materials have not split or worn through, and the carpet is still in good condition.

Review Date: 18th December, 2008

18th Dec 2008, 22:11

You are lucky to have gotten a rare good one. My experience with the Civic was a nightmare from day one. It started totally falling apart at 40,000 miles and was sold to a junk car dealer at 100,000. Probably the worst vehicle I've ever been cursed with. I now drive reliable domestics.

1998 Honda Civic SiR 1.6L DOHC VTEC from North America

Summary:

A really good deal

Nothing went wrong, except for normal wear damage.

General Comments:

It's the best car I have ever owned. It's affordable, cheap on gas and on maintenance.

It's good looking, fun to drive, and handles like a sports car; however the seats don't hold you when you take those tight corners.

I have driven a lot of other cars, but this is my 3rd Civic and I haven't gotten tired of it.

Review Date: 8th December, 2008

1998 Honda Civic Si from North America

Summary:

Great Car

Nothing major has happened to my car. I maintained it well by changing my water pump and timing belt everyone 100,000km. Which wasn't too expensive. There was a point where my engine light would turn on suddenly. But I left it for a few days and it turned off itself. Now its been running problem free for a few months. oil change here and there.

General Comments:

I'm not a car guy. I hate cars. But what can I do, I need a car so I can go to work. Car is not the best performer, not the fastest or smoothest. But offers great fuel efficiency and reliability. That's all I need. A car that doesn't break down and leave me stranded. I will get another one for sure.

Review Date: 17th November, 2008

1998 Honda Civic EX Coupe 1.6 VTech from North America

Summary:

Fun, economical, stylish, and affordable car that will out live your grandchildren

So far nothing really, runs pretty much perfectly with no problems, and nothing really bad happening to the body of the car (there were a few dents when I bought it), other than the usual with the windshield wipers losing paint (paint them for cheap, or buy new ones for almost as cheap, so w/e).

In fact the only thing that has ever actually broken on the vehicle was the washer pump, and that was because I launched it off an approach when I fell asleep. All that happened was the inner fender tore out the pump, which was 6 dollars and 15 mins to replace. The rest of the car was perfectly fine after this incident.

So to sum it up - NOTHING WENT WRONG THAT I PERSONALLY DIDN'T BRING ON MYSELF, LOL.

General Comments:

Look - From a quick walk around, the car doesn't look half bad, especially for an economy car. It has a sporty, yet refined look that separates it from the boring and often ugly look of your average economy car.

Interior - The interior of the Civic is surprisingly roomy. I myself am a little over 6' 3", and yet I can drive with good leg room and over all comfort. I would not however, recommend this car to taller people of old age; it may be difficult to get in and out of.

The seats are of pretty good quality, and feel pretty good for a small car; not luxury, but not bricks either. The back seat is pretty small, but is not too bad to ride in either, as long as your passengers aren't too far over six feet, or if they don't mind slouching.

Handling - I cannot really tell you what a Civic would handle like straight out of the factory, because my car came with a sport spring kit, which alters the handling as well as the ride.

Economy/Performance - I average about 33mpg with my 4spd slopomatic (auto), but can get as high as 38 on longer highway trips. As far as performance, don't expect to be winning any races (damn racers), as they aren't super fast cars, but the EX does have the get up and go for passing adequately, and those quick off the light jumps.

On a side note, while the engine doesn't exactly send you rocketing down the road, it does give off a very satisfying roar when put to the floor (not a vacuum cleaner sound either, a nice smooth, clean sound). This combined with the low end peppiness of the vehicle make it quite entertaining to drive day to day.

Reliability - NEVER had a problem with starting to fail of anything, and as it's a Honda, it will probably outlive me.

Other - The A/C in the vehicle is not super strong. Tires are quite cheap (about 50-60 per tire installed and balanced).

Review Date: 1st November, 2008