1998 Honda Civic L from North America

Summary:

Peace of mind motoring

Nothing wrong ever. Drove 180000 km or 112000 miles and only did maintenance. Only sold because of company supplied vehicle.

General Comments:

This was my seventh Honda. First was a 77 Civic. They just keep getting better. I'm currently looking for a used Honda for my teenage daughter. It will be #9.

Review Date: 23rd January, 2010

1998 Honda Civic LX 1.6 from North America

Summary:

Just an amazing car

My exhaust manifold was replaced at 170,000 km.

General Comments:

This car is very reliable. Everything is original (even the headlights and tail lights) except for the muffler (replaced at 320,000 km), timing belt/water pump, brakes, spark plugs, and battery (which lasted 8 years).

Review Date: 14th October, 2009

1998 Honda Civic LX 1.6 from North America

Summary:

Reliability, economical, low maintenance

Nothing gone wrong.

Changed tires, normal wear and use.

Two new batteries since buying the car brand new in 1998.

General Comments:

Live in Canada. Winter can be harsh. The Civic has been absolutely reliable and economical. No problems at all.

Seat hard on your bum on long trips.

Review Date: 21st August, 2009

1998 Honda Civic EX from North America

Summary:

Honda Civics are the best cars on the road; Reliable, inexpensive, and handles great!

Rotors replaced three times.

The gas pedal has a quirk I had to get used to at first, it was not smooth, but I got used to it in just a couple weeks and it was probably due to the car's age.

General Comments:

This is a very responsive and zippy car, handles great.

I have found that it is the only car which I can be at the utmost comfort as a driver and a passenger.

There are virtually no vision obstructions, no matter what your height is (I am 5').

I will likely purchase the newer Civic when this one has died. It is a very low maintenance vehicle.

Review Date: 2nd August, 2009

25th Aug 2009, 14:20

I have owned two 1998 Civics <4-doors>, and one 2002 Civic-EX <2-door>. The 1998's <4-doors> have been my preference, as they feel a little roomier and the visibility feels better. I bought the 2002 EX brand-new off the lot (silver). The first 1998 Civic I bought brand-new off the Dealer Lot (sky-blue), and it was an LX. The LX was lost in a traffic accident (got creamed on the passenger front hub, and there was too much mechanical + body work repair to justify rebuilding). The second, I bought used and it is an EX. The EX I still own (light-green). In fact, I replaced the engine in this 1998 Civic EX with 176,000 miles on the car (the engine is a Jasper engine with a 100,000mi warranty). I simply love the secure feeling of Civic (s), and I'll keep this car until the new engine quits (when the transmission quits, I'll probably replace it with a used Tranny - which is an automatic). Everything is still fully functional on this vehicle, and it really purrs when you need to get up to speed entering the highway! ;-)

1998 Honda Civic EX 1.6 VTEC from North America

Summary:

Economical, dependable, great car all around

Wife broke drivers side door handle off in well below 0 temps 2 years ago, speedometer works 1/4 of the time, then it's stuck on 20 mph. No matter what speed you're going, that's it!

Seats are a bit uncomfortable after 500 miles, but I have back problems.

General Comments:

Extremely good gas mileage for the power you get, 127hp/ 40 mpg on a road trip to Seattle going 80-85.

Very clean running engine. I put in only synthetic oil, and 4000 miles later it's insanely clean and has used maybe 1/10 of a quart.

I am not a fan of auto transmissions, but this one shifts excellent for the application.

Maintenance on this car is simple as pie. It takes less time to change the tranny fluid than the engine oil, and the superior design of the Honda transmission makes this possible.

Can't go wrong with this purchase, this thing is as reliable as my Chevy K1500; dependability and beyond.

Review Date: 15th April, 2009

1998 Honda Civic DX 1.6L SOHC from North America

Summary:

Dependable, good on gas

Believe it or not, nothing has actually gone wrong with it.

The car has a metric cluster in it, which I have to change soon as I live in the US.

It gets great gas mileage (I have gotten pretty close to 40mpg).

It starts when I turn the key and stops when I hit the brakes.

General Comments:

I have been very satisfied with the car, there as of yet, nothing has gone wrong with the car. It runs like a top, a little touchy on the clutch, but it goes.

It's not a speed demon by any means, but it does get good gas mileage.

The only thing that bothers me is the seats; I just wish they weren't so hard.

Aside from that, it's a great car and I can fill it for less than $20, and now you know it's good.

Review Date: 28th December, 2008