1999 Honda Civic Jordan 1.6 DOHC vtec from UK and Ireland

Summary:

DOHC Vtec engines are the best Invention ever!!!

There is a lot of wear and cracking on the front seats.

Exhaust has developed holes.

Some bush ions, have worn away causing a knocking sound on uneven surfaces.

General Comments:

Apart from the above problems, which are acceptable for an 8 year old car with this mileage, and could be sorted at fairly low cost, this car is as good as the day it came out of the factory. The engine bay is sparkling - not one stain after 115000 miles and it never misses a beat mechanically. The car is 100% and I put this down to regular servicing - no hard driving until engine warms up, and most of all to Honda's excellent engineering.

Now to describe the performance; it's just unbelievable from a 1.6 engine (I know the SIR and Type R are faster). Once 5500rpm is crossed the vtec engages and you're just glued to the seat, and the roar from the engine as it races to 8000rpm makes your whole body tremble.

The car handles fairly good, and there is nothing more satisfying than racing home late at night on a quite twisty country road, second and third gear is all you need.

Economy is not great, but all the power has to be generated somewhere - 33 mpg is around what I get driving normally, and going somewhere in a hurry I'm afraid to calculate mpg. Also the tank is pretty small, making trips to the pumps very frequent. If there was a 6th gear, it would leave the car far more efficient on the motorway.

Another good point about the car is it's a real good head turner, especially when it's clean and polished.

They also have a very good resale value.

Overall I'm very happy with the car, but am going to have to sell it soon due to high mileage I'm doing weekly; going to change to a diesel, maybe a 320d, A4 or GT TDI.

This would be a perfect and very enjoyable car to own and drive.

Review Date: 5th September, 2008

1999 Honda Civic LX 1.6 from North America

Summary:

The car never misses a beat

Nothing has ever gone wrong with this car.

General Comments:

This is engineering at its best. Nothing breaks. 9 years and this thing drives like it did the day I brought it home brand new.

We love this car and joke that we will give it to our son when he is 16 for his first car. He is 8 now, I am sure this car will still be around then. I keep clean oil in it, keep it waxed. Otherwise, I just drive it.

Review Date: 28th May, 2008

1999 Honda Civic SIR 1.6 DOHC from North America

Summary:

Best Civic ever built... hands down!!!

I owned the car for almost 3 years and only replaced the tires and the brakes. The most reliable car I have ever owned.

General Comments:

I have been a Honda man since the day I got my license. My first car was an 89 CRX SI, then a 97 Prelude. Both were high points in Gondas history. My 99 SIR was a perfect blend of the 2. The reliability and low running cost of the CRX, and the performance of the Prelude. 2600lbs, 160 hp. Not bad.

I drove this car across the country and had it up over 135 mph more than a few times. Although not as sophisticated as the Prelude, it wasn't too far off the mark.

I once got 700km to a single tank driving through the mountains at around 120 km/h driving from Vancouver to Calgary. I couldn't believe it.

Handling was superb. This this was a star on city streets as well as the highway.

Unfortunately a girl ran a red light and totaled the thing. The only place for me to go now is an S2000. Still a little too much cake for me to spend... thanks Honda but you haven't built a nice car since 2001...

Review Date: 29th April, 2008

14th Oct 2009, 14:05

I believe you, I just bought a 2006 Civic Si, but it has problem with the transmission, especially for third gear.

Honda should improve this.