2005 Honda Civic Reviews - Page 5 of 13

2005 Honda Civic LX from North America

Model year2005
Year of manufacture2004
Previous carPlymouth Voyager

Summary:

Hooked for life

Nothing:)

Seats are uncomfortable.

General Comments:

Car handles good, nothing has gone wrong with it, I will never get another brand of car again. I'm sticking with Honda.

Good pick up. quick little car.

Excellent gas mileage. I got 50 miles per gallon on two separate occasions. otherwise its 35 to 40 mpg.

On a 4 hour trip the seats get very uncomfortable.

Review Date: 26th February, 2008

2005 Honda Civic DX 1.7 from North America

Model year2005
Year of manufacture2005
Previous carToyota ECHO

I had no serious problems with the car.

My windshield cracked across the lower end.

The cloth on the driver's door ripped.

The speakers developed noise.

There were paint scratches on several places.

The tires wore fast (I had to replace the original Firestone tires).

General Comments:

The car looks good from outside, but it is such a great disappointment. Soon it shows its true nature: a cheap and unstable little car.

First of all, the gas mileage that the Honda salespeople advertise is not true.

Personally, I don't think it is built for North Americans who are usually taller. I have a hard time fitting in the car and I am only 5 feet 6 inches. We can hardly fit our 2 kids in the back (with one car seat); and definitely not built for the North American terrain of vast stretches of land.

I too find the gas pedal overly sensitive, which results in the car's being "jerky" and hard to control. I need to be constantly alert to avoid accidents and skidding, which can be exhausting. This is not a car for an inexperienced driver. And it is not a ride I will ever enjoy as I am constantly trying to 'survive' it.

The ride is also awfully noisy and extremely rough. Honda dealers call it "sporty" which is another word for horrible. The car feels "heavy" and it seems as if the shocks are shot or something. I had mine checked and I couldn't believe the mechanic telling me that they were OK. It didn't feel to me so, the ride was so atrocious! I wouldn't take my car on the highway, it is just too painful to ride on long distances.

The seats are also extremely uncomfortable with cheap padding of lousy quality. This is a disgrace and Honda should be ashamed to ask so much money for just an econobox. They need to offer something better quality wise to justify the price of this car. We equated Honda with quality, and it was an ugly surprise to find that we paid a high price for just a penalty box. This will definitely be my only and last Honda!

It has the reputation of a reliable car (this is yet to be seen as mine is still covered under warranty), however, it is not a car that it is driven a lot. I had a Pontiac that I drove non-stop on all terrains and distances across Canada and the U.S. It did bring me some problems, but this was justified given the kilometres I put in the car. The Civic sits on my parking lot taking up space, as reliable as it can be, since we seldom enjoy rides in it.

Honda dealers are extremely uncooperative about all this. Once you buy the car, you are pretty much stuck with it. I wouldn't advise anyone to buy the Civic given the fact that it is an expensive, uncomfortable and cheap car. Honda manufacturers need to realize that their cars will be driven by people and improve their 'ergonomics". Wake up Honda!

Note: One word for those who want to lease the car. Honda forces you to have full insurance on the car (collision-liability) for the whole lease term, a contract that is hard to get out of given the fact that the car depreciates faster that the lease is paid for. You need to keep this insurance in full force; if even if you get into an accident (which can send your premiums sky high), as they won't allow "theft and fire". Given the insurance rates, GOOD LUCK!

Review Date: 26th January, 2008

11th Mar 2008, 08:55

If you think this car is so obviously terrible why did you get it? I've had four Honda Civics from a 1996 model Coupe to the latest 2008 Euro five door. They've all been far from what you describe.

17th Mar 2008, 22:38

I also agree with the original poster here! These Hondai (cute, I nick name Honda, Hyundai) Civics really are NOISY! I can hear every bump, that's for sure. A/C is WEAK on super hot days (My 97 Mitsubishi A/C works BETTER) When I had bought ours brand new in 2005. I could have sworn, I just bought myself a $20,000 1997 Mitsubishi Mirage!!! Same comfort, same thing! Although we got the Special Edition EX 4 door model, nice one at that! I have to agree that these Hondai's (Honda) are overrated definitely. I also have the situation of LACK of space! They are the same basic car like Mazda Proteges, Mitsubishi Lancers etc. Same thing! BUT yet cost HALF as much!

4th Apr 2009, 06:44

I've never been uncomfortable in our '05. I guess that there's a sweet spot for people who are about 5'10". This car gets great economy, right up to about 110km/h. Then it drops precipitously. The ride can be a bit rough, but for a car this light, it rides very smoothly. The trunk is huge and we've stuffed a lot into ours. Our A/C works pretty well. I guess we got different cars.

2005 Honda Civic DX Special Edition (Canadian), 4-door,5-speed, power locks, A/C, ~180,000km.

27th Apr 2009, 22:57

Mazdas do not cost half the price!

1st Jan 2010, 13:27

I have a 2005 Honda Civic LX-G, and it has been a great car, although it is not very powerful or fun to drive, it gets me from point A to point B comfortably, and I am 6 foot 3 inches.

My only problem with this car is the fact I am going to have to drive it for a very long time, cause the stupid thing just won't break.