2003 Honda Element LX 4 cylinder AWS from North America

Summary:

Very useful vehicle, fix the key cylinders

Driver side doors lock replaced a couple years ago, as well the the ignition cylinder.

The driver side door lock that I had replaced isn't working properly once again. Very frustrating, as the engine and vehicle have been great except for these problems. It seems like a lot of people have had this problem!

Review Date: 20th October, 2008

2003 Honda Element ex 2.4 Gas from North America

Summary:

A big disappointment

Cracks in the windshield.

Drivers seat shredded.

Plastic panels scratch easily.

4 Wheel drive is a joke.

Rear sunroof is useless.

Short wheel base make for bumpy ride. Especially in rear seats.

Huge outside and inside yet seats only 4.

Low ground clearance.

Poor gas mileage.

Brakes are "lumpy" even after a resurfacing.

No passengers side arm rest.

Won't hold alignment.

General Comments:

This Honda was a let down.

It has a bumpy ride. It gets poor gas mileage (19 - 24). It won't hold an alignment. It gets bad gas mileage. The drivers seat wore out. The brakes are "lumpy" even after a resurfacing. The 4 wheel drive system is weak.

It has been dependable.

Review Date: 17th June, 2008

2003 Honda Element EX 2.4 from North America

Summary:

I love my element

Nothing at all.

General Comments:

I bought my 2003 Element used in march of '07 and have driven it daily since. I have put 10,000 miles on this vehicle and I have not had one problem.

The windshield is not the original so perhaps the previous owner had to deal with the cracking problem, I have had no cracks.

I do wish it got better gas mileage, I get about 23 miles to a gallon.

The huge interior space is what sold me on this car. I fly radio control airplanes and I can easily get 2 quarter scale planes in the back of this car with all the equipment needed to support them at the field.

The stereo is excellent and everything has a solid feel to it. I love this box on wheels.

Review Date: 7th April, 2008

2003 Honda Element EX 2.4 from North America

Summary:

The '03 Element 2WD isn't safe in the rain

General Comments:

I like almost everything about the my '03 Element EX, but have just recently discovered that I simply don't feel safe driving it in rain, especially heavy storms. There was a brief mention in another CarSurvey.org review that in rain one wheel might lose some traction, but an AWD model would transfer power to the rear, eliminating the issue.

I just drove in pounding rain from Phoenix to Los Angeles yesterday, and sure enough, in any kind of rain, especially in puddles, one wheel spins, the car bucks, and feels like it's about to totally lose traction. I had to slow to about 55mph to feel like I might be able to control it, but with other cars and especially semi trucks whizzing by, the water spray they shot in front of me made the conditions worse.

I may look into better rain tires to improve the situation; I think the car currently has the stock Goodyears.

If you live in a wet area, I advise you to strongly consider an AWD model. I've heard it has negatives of a little more transmission noise, and worse gas mileage (it's already pretty dismal at about 23 MPG/gallon)... but you may, like me, feel like you're taking your life in your hands during any kind of inclement weather otherwise.

As others have noted, too: the suicide rear doors are fun, but very awkward to get things in and out of in my tight garage with 2 cars parked inside. Road noise is a little high, but the nice 7-speaker sound system with my iPod cures that!

Review Date: 28th January, 2008

14th Jun 2011, 13:55

OEM tires, on the three vehicles I've had them, are pretty close to worthless for several reasons, including wet traction. Good tires would likely eliminate the tire spinning issue. However, any tire will slip when it hydroplanes. If water is pooled on the road surface, you pretty much have to slow down. Trucks carrying weight and vehicles with a more narrow contact patch are less likely to hydroplane, which is probably the reason you were passed by said vehicles.