1992 Honda Prelude Reviews - Page 2 of 6

1992 Honda Prelude S 2.2 from North America

Previous carChevrolet C10

Summary:

Good on gas, but not worth it

Well I bought the car, and it had a shake and the rotors were warped. Put all new brakes on it, then the rear calipers needed to be replaced.

The valve cover started leaking, then it developed a vibration at 3200 rpm, which is very hard to figure out what the hell is causing it.

Now it has a bent wheel, and pulls like a b****.

It also is very uncomfortable to drive with its lousy seats and awful riding suspension.

Never buy one.

General Comments:

Only thing good about the car, and the reason I bought it, is that it gets 30 mpg.

Review Date: 19th February, 2009

1992 Honda Prelude Si Vtec 2.2 DOHC Vtec from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.2 DOHC Vtec Manual
Previous carToyota Celica GT4 ST185

Summary:

Amazing

Not much since I've owned it; just the usual things.

Clutch replaced a few months after owning.

Brake pads fell apart (crap green stuff).

Distributer failed.

Coolant temperature sensor failed.

General Comments:

One of the best cars I've ever owned.

Very quick for what I paid; even quicker than my Celica GT4 ST185. and more reliable.

Also a lot quicker than most modern performance cars like the Mazda RX8 for example.

This is the second Prelude I've owned, and to be honest I would deffo get another.

Review Date: 25th February, 2008

18th Oct 2008, 19:13

Totally agree. Live in Melbourne, AUS and got this model (after 4 years of searching) as a personal import from Japan.

Very few eng. mods to get it registered here.

Back in '95 paid 11,500 (AUS) and the car has been a GEM.

Only major criticism are the DE-RATED brakes. I have had countless machinings of rotors and THREE new front sets.

Also different compound pads... the rotors always warp within about 6 months.

Maybe says more about my driving???

Mechanically it has been great, apart from minor prob with the strange ABS system.

A new 4WS controller is approx $5,000 (AUS). Recon units a tenth of that.

I have never had a problem with the 4WS apart from the car auto reverting to 2WS if/when the battery doesn't have enough grunt to turn the rear turn servo (s)...then the amber 4WS light activates.

** NEVER PUT A SMALLER CAPACITY BATTERY IN THESE CARS.

YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS.

USE HONDA RECOMMENDATION.

Purchased @ 60,000 Km's...now @ 105,000 Km's burns a bit of oil when you accelerate v.hard...advised to change oil from the usual 5W-50 to a higher viscosity. Try a 10W-50, see how it goes... maybe 15W??

All in all, a great car, still cheap to run with great performance and great lines (SERIES 3 we are talking about?).

Will be a classic one day.

Cheers all.

PS. If anyone can point me to where I may download a workshop manual for this model, I am sure I have something they would like.

Syclik500@yahoo.com.au.

The corrupt employees from Honda (AUS) will sell you a burnt copy of crappy scans for $300 (AUS)...they can shove the CD in between the rotor and the pad... maybe work better..hahahaha.

1992 Honda Prelude Si 2.2 petrol from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.2 petrol Automatic
Most recent distance152000 kilometres
Previous carVolkswagen Golf

Summary:

Pure Japanese scrap!

Where do I start?

Since I've had it:

142,000km: Balancer pulley fell off in the engine, causing the timing belt to be stripped and have to be replaced.

143,000: Oxygen monitoring sensor.

144,200: Speedo sensor.

145,000: Balancer belt snapped and had to be replaced with the timing belt (which got damaged) again!

152,000: Crank shaft snapped in half and has done some damage to my valves.

Review Date: 8th January, 2008

1992 Honda Prelude Si VTEC 2.2L VTEC from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission 2.2L VTEC Automatic
Previous carHonda Prelude

CV boots needed replacing.

The Four-Wheel-Steering system is known to disengage on occasion and cease working (No biggie, just means it handles like a regular non-4WS car).

General Comments:

I have owned this car for approximately a month, and I feel I have been able to put it though its paces in that time.

My model is the 'Si-VTEC', it is the Japanese spec and sought after 'BB1' grade with the H22A engine, LSD and a factory traction control switch. Basically the FLAGSHIP and most desired model.

I have some mixed feelings about the Prelude, it seems like a drivers car with its aggressive, low slung wide-body, powerful engine, and 'cat like' handling, but then the interior suggests otherwise with the gauges spread all the way across the dash, away from the driver...

Around town the Prelude, if driven sensibly, can be considered economical and even I suppose, boring. But if you want there is excitement waiting, it hides just beyond 5000RPM and its name is 'VTEC'. Meet your new best friend. If you feel the need, like I did when I was pulling 70KPH (cliff-side) around a winding mountain range, VTEC is more than willing to give you an extra 17% HP and sends you deep back into the drivers seat.

Now, despite the fact that I drive an Automatic, just a simple flick of the 'sports' mode button changes the gear changes at a higher RPM giving you the feel of a Manual with the laziness of an Auto. Just be expecting to pay the price at the petrol pump.

Certain models (such as mine) come with Four-Wheel-Steering (4WS). This basically gives you 'super-turning' and improved cornering. It was originally used on race cars and really does add value to the overall driving experience. Whether it be during maneuvers at high-speed or low-speed.

So now we come to the bottom-line, should YOU buy one? I would say yes with a, but...

The car is a looker and there for a 'puller'. It is practical, yet thanks to VTEC it has the option of being impractical, and for this I give it my two thumbs up. So overall it is a GREAT car (and now for the, but/s) BUT, despite it having 'four' seats, due to the cramped conditions in the back, it really is strictly a two person vehicle, and without VTEC this car loses a whole lot of fun-factor.

In closing I suggest that you purchase this car but only if you have one girlfriend and you can find a one with a VTEC engine.

A SOLID 8/10.

Peace.

Paul.

Review Date: 27th August, 2007

19th Oct 2007, 16:54

How about the boot size - I am considering a car just like yours, I am married with a 9 month old son. I know he will fit in the back seat, but can the boot take its toll in regards to pram and further accesories? Thanks for your comments as they were very enlighting.

25th Oct 2007, 23:25

The boot size of the Prelude is surpisingly spacious. You could easily fit a folded down pram in the back, but I would possibly reconsider if you are thinking about stashing a baby in the back seat there really is just room for handbags back there.

Peace.

Paul.

9th Dec 2009, 18:35

What a loser you drive and automatic, get a manual then you may feel what its really like to drive a 2.2 DOHC VTEC. Sorry to be so blunt, but auto's rob the engine's true performance.