2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 2.0 4 cylinder Gasoline from North America

Summary:

Very Reliable

In the 15,000 miles that I have driven it in the year that I have owned it, nothing has broken or gone wrong. I bought the car from my in-law who is an Engineer. He maintained it and the records very well, with no faults or breaks during any of the miles. This in itself impressed me very much. It literally has never been in the shop for any sort of repair. Routine maintenance (which for Hyundai is actually pretty sparse compared to other manufacturers) is the the only time he took it to the dealer/shop. No gasket issues, no belt, brake, electrical, engine light issues whatsoever. These were issues for my last car within the initial 50,000 miles.

General Comments:

Performance marks are a 10/10> I was initially used to the 42 mpg I was getting with a diesel. But this car is getting me around 32 mpg and at $.55 cheaper/gallon it equals out pretty well. At much fewer visits to the shop it definitely has paid off!

My real test came when using the car for work. I load my car with gear and must travel over some mountains to get to the work site. These are steep desert mountains with elevation and can get very hot. I was very skeptical that the 4 cylinder gasoline engine and automatic transmission would perform for me as I did my travels. I was fearing that I would be puttering up the mountain in the slowlane, regretting my purchase. Much to my pleasure, fully loaded with heavy gear and liquid, the 4 cylinder and the automatic performed very well. The engine hummed nicely at 3.5k when needed and would not lurch between 3rd and 4th gear, but was efficient at staying in the proper gear. I was easily able to maintain my speed and position in the fast lane the entire way up the interstate. The car handles the desert dirt roads very well, too. I have yet to need an alignment even over miles of rough desert roads. It has certainly passed my "first year" test with flying colors.

Reliability- Outstanding. What anyone would hope from a car. Never have it break down on you or give you issues. We all have enough of those in our lives! We don't need them from inanimate objects as well!

Comfort- No problems, just like the "heavier" feel of European design better than other designs.

Dealer- Haven't used them, but they get a mark down since they won't transfer the warranty from my in-law to me.

Review Date: 3rd February, 2008

10th Mar 2009, 17:53

Good review, I got the 2002 GT and the engine is still running strong at 160 000 km.

I am just checking out the 2005 reviews as I have a friend looking for one...

Civic = $11000... without power windows or anything.

Elantra GT = $8000

Mine however needs lots of repairs with little suspension parts... struts, baring and other things...

(Living in Montreal 7 months of winter -20`s salted roads...

Also, the trucks that clean the roads rip HOLES thru them so... suspension issues are explained... so is my unfortunate rust.

However, after 4 years, I have had no trouble that can be blamed on the car.

To the owner, I don't recommend using a Hyundai dealership... I hear they are horrible.

2005 Hyundai Elantra from North America

Summary:

Piece of junk

The timing belt went and the car stalled. Wouldn't restart and had to have it towed into the shop. Did you know that regular maintenance is replacing the timing belt at 60,000 miles. If you don't you void the 100k warranty. This is not a cheap part (approx 600.00) never had a car you had to this on. if the timing belt goes while you are driving you might as well call the junk yard to come get it. The timing belt is just the beginning, not to mention all the damage that occur ed when the engine stopped. Our three year old car is now a piece of junk.

General Comments:

Don't be tempted by the hyundai this was our 6th hyundai in our family. The quality isn't what it used to be. I thought they were becoming the next toyota. guess not. save your money and buy a toyota. Or buy the hyundai and start saving for the really big repair bill.

Review Date: 24th January, 2008

27th Jan 2008, 00:04

Read the service schedule and do the maintenance!

Admittedly, a timing belt failure only 8k miles over the recommended change point is a bit close, but technically not premature.

Our family has owned four Hyundais and two Kias all made after 2000 and they have been as near to perfect as any mass-produced machine could be.

By the way, most Toyotas also use the same type of timing belt which also has to be changed at the same frequency for approx. the same cost.

The annoyance aimed at your car and Hyundai, in my view, is largely unfounded.

You took a risk running past 60kmiles (probably trying to save money) and lost. Your fault, not Hyundai's!