1994 Infiniti Q45 Touring 4.5L from North America

Great interior, expensive to fix, overall OK

At 120,000 miles, the throttle body control module that controls the limited slip TCS went, and of course dealer wanted $300 just for the part.. not happening. Runs fine without this, but the annoying dashboard light stays on.

The head gasket went at 130K. Rebuilt engine installed.

Then the starter went at 135K.

Shocks at 135K.

General Comments:

I have not been lucky enough to experience the acceleration that others seem to get from this 4.5 liter engine. It performs well from 40 - 60+ MPH, but not off the line. However, this car has the nicest seats in a sports sedan. I would not get rid of this car (but just deal with the other mechanical issues).

Review Date: 13th May, 2010

1994 Infiniti Q45 a 4.5L gas engine from North America

Cruise in style!!!

The car had an electrical problem where the idle would not hold steady. It would die after a few seconds.

Replaced all the wiring took care of it. Something to do with a ground wire?

One fuel injector went bad, car vibrated badly at idle.

Replaced injector, stopped vibration.

Rough idle, needle would go up and down, felt like the car was wheezing.

Cleaned the fuel injection, idle is smooth.

General Comments:

I bought this car in Denver in 2002 while I was in Seminary. I had just wrecked my white Ford Explorer and needed some transportation. I found this dark blue beauty on Federal in Denver and when I saw it had a Georgia Bulldogs sticker on it from my undergraduate school of choice. I knew it had to be a sign.

The car ran well at first until the electrical problem started. I took it to Meineke while I had it. The guys over there replaced all the rubber and wiring in the car, which had started to rot I guess. They got her working after a couple of trips back.

The major problem I had was one of the fuel injectors going bad. Fortunately there is a great forum with tons of info for Q45 owners, which I read religiously. I finally diagnosed the problem as a bad injector, which is common on these vehicles. The problem was how to fix it. Estimates to fix this ranged in the thousands; because of the way the car's engine is made you have to go deep inside to fix it. Most of the charge is the labor.

More research. OK I found a set of used injectors on eBay for under 100 bucks. I sent them to a company that tests and rebuilds them, also for less than a hundred bucks. I then found a guy to put them in. He was in Atlanta and only charged me about two hundred for the labor. I saved hundreds of dollars and frankly couldn't have afforded to do it any other way. She is so quiet now. You can hardly tell the engine is on.

This is a great car when it is running right. The V8 is so strong and is a joy to drive on the highway. This car is fast, don't let the looks fool you. BMWs and Mercedes are surprised by me cruising past them.

Small nit picky things. The seats are worn out and some leather is cracked in places. The passenger window is a gamble if I try to close it. Loose connection somewhere. The wiper fluid holder is cracked and needs to be replaced or fixed. And the sunroof mechanism broke because it is flimsy plastic.

I bought the car for 4 grand and spent about 2 grand fixing it up. These cars are a steal considering they used to be 50 grand. I love to drive this car.

Review Date: 8th May, 2009

1994 Infiniti Q45 Base with Traction Control 4.5 Liter V8 278hp from North America

Own one and you'll understand -- INFINITI

- Transmission (I found one at a local junk yard for $450 -- labor was $200...I have a VERY cheap mechanic). The transmission new is between $2500-$3500.

- Front struts; I found 2 front struts for around $400 last year in 2007... and now (2008) I need MORE front struts (luckily, I got this pair for free!)

- The passenger side control arm was replaced, I forgot how much that was.

- Power steering line/cable became loose (car was VERY hard to drive/turn)

- 1 new rotor, and brakes (all four brakes to get replaced at the same time is around $250)

- Tune up (at INFINITI a tune-up was around $800 that's what they told me a year ago 2007. Now 2008 a tune up at the dealership is around $400)

- TCS & slip light blinks constantly! I'm not sure what the problem is, but it seems to not affect anything!

- The exhaust system needs to be replaced, but the car is not loud (a new exhaust system is between $1000-$1800)

- One thing I HATE about this car is: if I turn the AC on, and drive around... my car seems to not perform as quickly as usual. I do not know what the problem is, but I hate it!

- New alternator pulley. $106 from dealership (the part was only as SMALL as the palm and fingers of my hand!)

- My car leaks oil, I need some type of seal around something... sorry I forgot what my mechanic said it is exactly.

- The power steering leaks in most Q45's (my sister drove a Nissan Maxima and had the same problem with the power steering leaks). It must be a NISSAN thing.

- Gas mileage is HORRIBLE (but what do you expect from a V8)?! They tell you it's 15 mpg city - 18 mpg highway... but it's ACTUALLY about 12/13 city - 18/19 Highway.

General Comments:

* It performs best when the temp gauge is around C (cold), but the car IS fast...!!

* The back seat room isn’t all that great, because the front seats are very bulky (personal opinion)

* BOSE sound system is GREAT... very much so when I hook up my iPOD and put the equalizer on BASS BOOSTER!! WOW! (Boom...boom boom boom!!)

* The sunroof is large... unlike Honda/Acura.

* The keyless entry remote will put the two front windows down if you hold the UNLOCK button! I think it's cool that you can also turn the interior lights on or off by the remote!

* The 1994-1996 INFINITI Q45 was/IS the best body style Q45!

* THE SERVICE AT INFINITI IS 100% EXCELLENT!! EXCELLENCE, GOALS, ACHIEVEMENTS!!! (well at least at my local dealership)

* When the car is detailed... it is BEAUTIFUL! (mine is black on tan! aftermarket paint)

** Despite all of the problems I've had with this car, it IS a very good car! I drove it to Myrtle Beach SC with not one problem at all!**

Review Date: 2nd June, 2008

21st Feb 2011, 11:21

My power steering is horrible on my 94 Q45. I saw that you said the power steering line was loose. How do I go about fixing that? How much will it cost and what should I say to the mechanic?

Robert Lawson.