1994 Infiniti Q45 V8 from North America

Costly, excellent performer, took a hit on the price

1) First 500 miles. Tires were noisy. Dealer changed out for Yokohama's for free. Ride and noise much improved. They lasted 60k!

2) About 1500 miles. Something came loose in the engine. Fixed for free. Dealer never really explained the problem.

3) Leaking track rod at 60k. Changed out. Expensive. I suspect that it had been leaking for sometime, but was ignored by the dealer to avoid warranty cost. Steering fluid level would drop from about 20k onward, but no visible leak.

4) Loss of power. Several times power was down between services. "Hoses" were always to blame.

5) Otherwise only routine maintenance.

General Comments:

The car ran and still runs very well. Power tends to drop off between routine services.

If you ever start the car cold and then back up only a few feet and switch off the engine, beware! Quite often the engine will not start again. Flooded. It can take a long time of cranking to get it running. And when it does, what a cloud of smoke. Dealers know this.

Car runs and handles very well. Shame that they have such a poor reputation. It's no LS400, but it's good.

Leather seats did not wear well.

Review Date: 17th July, 2001

6th Jul 2002, 11:32

This is a wonderful car, but am having trouble now with gas getting to the engine and it will not start. Am at a loss as to why. It has 109,000 miles on it. Kay.

31st Oct 2002, 07:32

Check the fuel pump and filter if all electronics are okay. Sometimes the pump is bad and you get no fuel in the line to the engine.

Before lowering the gas tank and messing with the fuel pump, I'd check the ends of the fuel lines in the engine compartment first (incoming and outgoing). If both of these are dry, it's probably the pump.

You can further test to see if it would start by simply feeding a small amount of fuel directly into the air intake. If the engine starts, then you can pretty much be sure it's your fuel pump. If not I suggest you either bring it to a CERTIFIED mechanic for the Q or to the dealership (much more expensive I know).

By the way, make sure there IS fuel in the tank before you do anything!!!

4th Feb 2004, 09:37

I had the same problem with my Q. We even put gas in the car at the gas station after running out about a block away!

Seems that you need to leave the key in the on position for about a minute. By the time we figured this out tow trucks were on the way! It should start. Ours did.

By the way, easily did 105 on I-10 without almost a sound coming from my engine. I happily own a 91 with 137498k miles.