1999 Isuzu Rodeo Reviews

Model year1999
Year of manufacture1998
Engine and transmission 2.2L Manual
Previous carChevrolet Suburban

Summary:

Unique!!

Well I bought it for $500 with a broken timing belt, and had to change 6 valves, ported the head, and ran it 3000 miles before the oil pump went out.

One month later, the alternator and A/C compressor.

1 year later, the head gasket blew, fixed it, AC went out again, blew the head gasket 6 months later (bought a cheap head gasket). Fixed it with a Felpro head gasket this time.

Fixed the AC, changed the sending unit, bought the sending unit on ebay for $45.

One month later the fuel pump goes out, pulled a pump from my parts Rodeo and needed a fuel pump strainer!! No parts house or dealer list a replacement strainer. Found out the 1999 Oldsmobile Aurora has the same exact strainer that is ACDELCO TS1011 $36 = shipping "Rockauto.com".

Also changed the transmission out; it was cheaper to buy a used one than to rebuild it.

So now the Rodeo will be put up for sale soon, LOL.

General Comments:

The GOOD - overall the Rodeo was a fun vehicle to drive on road and off road. It has a comfortable ride, and I drove the crap out of it!! Pulled trailers and boats with the 4 banger. I hate to get rid of it, but I have a V-6 model to fix up to drive!!

Review Date: 8th September, 2010

1999 Isuzu Rodeo LSE 6 cylinder from North America

Model year1999
Year of manufacture1999
First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 6 cylinder Automatic
Previous carSAAB 900

Summary:

Best vehicle I've ever owned

I have to believe that the comments trashing the 99 Rodeo are from people who bought used lemons. This car has been nothing but a champ for myself and my family. It's been back and forth from Texas to Colorado, through New Mexico and down to Phoenix, Arizona. It handles every weather condition, every extreme of heat and cold (120+ degree days in AZ, -30 windchill days in CO), and has never broken down.

Difference? I bought the car new. I serviced it. I maintained it. Even after being the shuttle for three kids who are now 9, 7 and 3, the seats still look virtually brand new, and are untorn, unstained, and uncreased. The dash has yet to warp or crack.

Here's what's gone wrong with it. The fuel gauge no longer works. The internal sensor in the tank has gone bad, and apparently the labor costs to replace it put the fix at about $800 to fix a $10 sensor. The solution? Fill the tank, set the trip, refill when you know you're down to your last few gallons. Been that way for two years, have done multiple car trips from AZ to CO and back, and haven't run out of gas yet.

If you're crying about your lemon of a used car, guess what. A carfax probably would've told you all you needed to know. Don't blame Isuzu for the mistreatment of the car by others, or for your own lack of research. Caveat emptor, my friends.

Oh, and the styling shows Isuzu's innovation. After ten years on the road, it doesn't look out of place when new Highlander rolls up next to it. It could've rolled off the showroom last year, it doesn't look a bit dated. Frankly, I'm just sad I can't buy another.

General Comments:

The Rodeo is the REAL Trooper of Isuzu's product line. Great car.

Interior, styling, performance, never been an issue. Appropriate balance of efficiency and power. I've never needed more power, and appreciate a full sized SUV that still manages respectable fuel economy.

Would buy another if I could, but only if I was the first owner.

Review Date: 14th January, 2010

19th Oct 2010, 21:16

Don't blame Isuzu for this! Are you serious?

Thousands of people having the exact same problems is a real problem. I have owned Toyotas and never experienced the sort of issues these people have mentioned. I even owned Hondas and nope, no issues. You can say is maintenance all you want, but sensors for ABS systems that seem to all go bad, fuel gauges that don't work? Tell me, should I check my fuel gauge connectors and lube them up? How about my ABS sensors regularly? This is a real problem and Isuzu has known about these issues for years... Oil consumption issues? Why is it they don't seem to be selling in the USA anymore?

Tell me that Mr. Smart Person who blames all on poor maintenance!