1986 Isuzu Trooper Base 2.2L turbo diesel from North America
The Isuzu Turbo Diesel has passed the test of time with excellence!
Since ownership, nothing has gone wrong with Trooper other than watching out for specific items that are worn.
Contemplating future minor repairs on the following items:
1. Belts shows sign of cracking and splitting a definite need to fix.
2. Fuel filter needs replacing.
3. Oil filter needs replacing.
4. Air filter need replacing.
5. Joints need to be lubed.
6. A/C unit needs to be replaced with updated unit.
7. Tachometer needs to be replaced.
1. Great mileage, diesel fuel tank is 21.7 averaging 30 MPG.
2. Increased power of at least 10% after performing general maintenance of replacing all three filters.
3. Plenty of cargo space.
4. Plenty of head room.
5. Lots of elbow room in engine compartment for the DIY.
6. Great 4x4 stock clearance.
7. Great to have 3 standard protective underneath skid plates.
8. Spacious open air feeling for touring (large window views). Seats are comfortable for long trips.
9. Tough, rugged yet very light weight vehicle with lower center of gravity as it may look top heavy, but doesn't feel top heavy while turning.
10. Excellent short turning radius when compared to other SUV's.
12. Engine doesn't rattle or vibrate as much as one might assume from a 24 year old diesel (compared to Diesels like VW Rabbit or Mercedes of that era).
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 6th June, 2010