1986 Isuzu Trooper Reviews - Page 3 of 5

Model year1986
Year of manufacture1985
Most recent distance200000 miles
Previous carIsuzu Trooper

Summary:

All around great vehicle

It had the engine replaced in 2002 with a jasper 2.3 liter.

I am replacing the clutch at this time for first time.

A rear pinion seal, two new warn hubs, brakes, and wheel bearings. I have put brush guards on it with a roof rack and ladder on the back with mew 33x10.50 tires and rock crawler rims. And some kc lights.

General Comments:

This car can't go fast; at no means is it a tank though. It goes anywhere I want it to go: fishing, hunting, skiing. It is not comfortable, but the cab light puts off a romantic glow. It is overall the best car I have ever owned. I recommend that everyone should have one.

Review Date: 16th January, 2006

1986 Isuzu Trooper turbo diesel from North America

Model year1986
First year of ownership1995
Engine and transmission turbo diesel Manual
Previous carIsuzu Trooper

Summary:

The best truck, and has stood the test of time and reliability

Nothing has gone wrong with the car ever since I have owned it, other than common mechanics; brakes, belts, water pump, lights etc.

Other everyday use items such as door hinges and door spring devices have been easily replaced, but I change oil and filters after 2000 miles, and grease the fittings.

Seats have worn out, but that's it!!

General Comments:

First and foremost, the Trooper is the most reliable car I have found. It's simple and easy to fix and maintain.

I got the car when I was 17, and still drive it today. In its past it has been in a head on accident, and with a major face lift and a very good paint job, it rides the road again.

The A/C I retro fitted to 134a, and it's ice cold.

The engine, being diesel, is slow, but has a lot of torque to spare, and is very good on mileage, getting 36MPG, and runs very cool.

The cabin is very roomy; I can lay the seat back, and I can stretch my legs to get a rest, and since I am gone for months at a time (Navy), I come back to it and it starts like it was yesterday.

Other than that, parts at times are hard to find.

I will hold on to this car forever, and I will be buried in it.

Review Date: 6th January, 2006

1986 Isuzu Trooper 2 LX 2.3 gas from Costa Rica

Engine and transmission 2.3 gas Manual
Previous carIsuzu Trooper

Summary:

Pleased, this old trooper runs excellent.

Air condition went out six months after I bought the car.

Wheel bearings front axle replaced.

Front bucket seats recovered.

General Comments:

The four wheel drive function excellent. I have done fifty per cent off road. Never been stuck yet. Hills and mud.

Seats are hard and needed extra cushions.

Minimal power up hills on main roads. Lacks power.

Review Date: 2nd June, 2004

1986 Isuzu Trooper II LS 2.3 lt. Gas from North America

Engine and transmission 2.3 lt. Gas Manual
Previous carIsuzu Trooper

Summary:

Other than a somewhat rough ride, the Trooper is the greatest buy for the buck!!!

I have had to replace the brake rotors, pads, calipers. Among a few other minor things. All and all I could not have spent my money better!

Although I am soon due to replace my front and rear main gaskets. The seats are not worn to badly at all! Everything works in the interior except the front dome light, and the oil pressure gage.

General Comments:

My engine is strong! My 4x4 functions properly! It has been laid over, but only received a small dent, and a few scratches from it!! There is a little rust, but nothing to sweat!! All and all it was the greatest $800.00 I ever spent! I would suggest one to anybody!!

Review Date: 2nd June, 2004

1986 Isuzu Trooper II 2.3L from North America

Engine and transmission 2.3L Manual
Distance when acquired204000 miles
Most recent distance205500 miles

Summary:

Dependable, cheap, easy, what more do you want?

This is all what I found after a trip to the mechanics after I purchased it for...$400!

Suspension shot.

Front end steering shot.

Leaf spring shackles blown.

Rust Rust Rust.

Bad oil leak.

Power steering pump is about to explode.

Air filter was wrong size.

Oil filter was wrong size.

No oil cap.

Rear dif has a leak.

Front dif sounds like a school bus.

Seats are worn down bad.

Smells like rubber, pee, and beer.

Front bumper has serious impact damage.

Front dome light doesn't work (prob no bulb)

Rear dome light works manually, won't turn on when you open the door.

Rear seat belts are un trustworthy.

Tires bald.

Axle bolt for the wheel has been broken off on driver's front, so it only has 5 out of six lugs.

Clutch catches real high.

4x4 high pops out when you begin to accelerate (prob bad fork)

Has no power up hills except in 4x4.

No highway power.

Brakes are very soft and front rotors and pads are glazed.

General Comments:

But...

The 4x4 works great and low gear is amazing.

When I get on the highway it gets to 75 but any kind of hill and it decelerates quickly. I'm hoping my recent tune up will help.

Adding 31' tires to 15x8 wheels.

A home made roof rack will appear soon also.

Its not a bad ride despite the complete loss of suspension, rocks and bumps throw you out of yer seat though.

The last Trooper I had was covered in rust and on the first off road adventure I busted the frame. I still drove it's listing hulk around for a year, but after the brakes went I sadly junked it. I love that little truck so much I cried when I walked away...seriously.

But now I have another one and something to work with, the rust isn't as bad and almost everything works!

These little guys are surprising gas guzlers! For such a small engine and standard transmission I would expect better, but maybe 10-12 miles to the gallon. Plus it has a 20 gallon tank.

If you are looking for a cheap rig or something to play around in get one of these! If you need a decent work truck get one of these! If you need something that will run all the time no matter what happens to it (maybe you're in college?) get one of these!

Review Date: 23rd January, 2004

27th Jul 2004, 17:30

Then your tune up should help a lot. I too miss my 86 2 door. I got 20 MPG and yes in highway traffic it also had a hard time maintaining 80 :) at 90 she swayed a bit heaven help me if a strong cross wind got me. But around town I hardly used 1st gear. Misfortune came my way one rainy day, as I had to put the binders on and down shifting to granny. With a small bump to the car in front of me my feet slipped off the clutch and break. I knew I should have replaced those rubber pedal covers. I dumped 1st and mashed the gas then proceeded to walk through the back of the Ford Taurus wagon pushing it into a Plymouth Voyager. The odd thing was that it didn't even act as if they were in its way and kept running even with its radiator holding the fan blade from turning. I sure miss her. PS Never got stuck in Maine winters and always started.

18th Jan 2006, 15:28

Love it! Hopefully one day you find another. This review was actually done on my second and there is a good chance I will be getting an 88 tonight to use to fix up the 86. I like the body style on the 86 best, but there are more kits and after market available for the 88. Choices...