2002 Jaguar X-Type Reviews - Page 16 of 16

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.0 from North America

Previous carJaguar XJ6

Summary:

Affordable Jag?...what can I say!

The transmission blew at 11.000 miles. After much research, I discovered that it was a 'one off'.

General Comments:

Apart from the disaster with the transmission, which my dealer handled very well! The car has been tremendous. I love the feel and the handling is mind blowing. I live in Washington DC were snow is not uncommon, the four wheel drive was great.

I love the look of the car, except the rear... that does remind me of something 'ford-esque'.

Review Date: 23rd December, 2002

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 from North America

Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

A Ford Taurus with a jaguar sticker on it

My head lights both switch on and off, to get them to work I have to get out of my car and hit one or both of the lights.

My steering wheel makes funny noises when I turn the wheel.

The driver side door rattles and sometimes doesn't open.

The back passenger side spring rattles.

My jack for the spare is completely rusted.

General Comments:

The car itself looks very nice, but the performance is very disappointing.

Review Date: 11th November, 2002

9th Dec 2002, 20:20

-I disagree, Jaguar's are great cars, though the X Type is a bit overpriced.

8th Jan 2003, 14:15

I agree, apart from that beautiful, I repeat beautiful interior and fairly stylish looks (if rather high-off-the-ground stance), this Jag is poor.

13th May 2007, 17:15

Yea, considering the Jaguar shares nothing at all with a Ford Taurus.

14th May 2007, 12:05

This car uses the Ford Contour's chassis and we all know what a great car that was.

Why did Ford base a jaguar on the mediocre ford contour is beyond me, but I know for a fact that when people take in their X-type's to the dealership the tech's laugh at them and tell the customers that the X-Type is not even a real jaguar.

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 2.5 Liter V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.5 Liter V6 Automatic
Previous carJaguar XJ8

Summary:

Cool, sophisticated car-not a reliable one

Wind Shield wipers going on automatically even when there is no rain.

Exhaust is rattling.

Driver seat is rocking slightly back and fourth.

Car sometimes hesitates when accelerating.

General Comments:

I enjoy driving it, but I also am glad I leased it. It seems as though it will be a rather unreliable car. TYPICAL JAGUAR! It still looks beautiful though!

Review Date: 15th September, 2002

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 from North America

Previous carMercedes-Benz 220

With only 4000 miles I have only had problems with the CD player and the connection of the Motorola phone.

General Comments:

The traction of the X is hard to break loose and compared to the Mercedes, a dream to drive in winter and on dry roads.

Review Date: 6th February, 2002

9th Apr 2004, 11:54

Couldn't agree more about the AWD.

In fact, when I bought the car, it wasn't a consideration. I liked all other aspects, it happened to come with AWD... So fine, I'll take that.

The day I picked it up from the dealer it was snowing. About 2" on the ground and no plowing/salting yet. By the time I got home (all of 8 miles) I was converted. It was like I was driving on dry pavement. Absolutely NONE of the "iffy" feel that any and every 2-wheel-drive car I've ever taken in the snow had. Rock-solid.

And while I know it's a subject of debate, I truly say I feel the effects of AWD even on dry pavement on a sunny day -- especially when taking a corner nice and fast and keeping toe on the gas, you can really feel that all 4 wheels are 'digging' the pavement and keeping the line true.

2002 Jaguar X-Type V-6 from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission V-6 Automatic

Summary:

Brilliant to drive and eats the BMWs and Mercedes Benz models

No faults.

General Comments:

The X-Type was a pleasure to drive for several thousand kilometres touring Victoria over Christmas with my family.

It was quiet, comfortable, but perhaps more lumber support for front passengers.

The Global Positioning Navigation System (GPS) touch screen is light years or several generations better than the new nav system in the 4.4 litre BMW four wheel drives.

It is perfect for a tourist and I felt helpless when my six year old son turned off the voice commands and I was just left with the excellent map on a screen.

The steering is excellent, given that it is a three litre engine it has oodles of power and leaps forward ever so silently - just like a cat. On country running I averaged 9 litres per 100 kilometres, over 31 miles per gallon and about 10 to 11 litres or 26 to 26 miles per gallon in town.

It is fantastic to park in small spaces and the parking sensors are just wonderful.

The ride and feel of the car was wonderful.

It is one of the few cars in the world where one can comfortably double or triple the recommended cornering speed and still not feel like a racing driver!

I was also very impressed with the large boot that took four large suitcases and a large bag, laptop computer, briefcase and lots of coats.

Even with this load plus a family of four, acceleration was effortless, especially when overtaking.

It was also fun to be pampered with such luxury, unlike the BMW and Mercedes.

Review Date: 17th January, 2002

19th Jan 2002, 11:07

Yeah mate, but the 330i SE, is still much better. It has quicker acceleration and top speed, handles better, its engine is pointing in the proper direction, is rear wheel drive, and in my opinion looks better.

29th Jan 2002, 23:29

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so comments about appearance are highly subjective. Personally I think the car is the nicest thing on the road in this price range.

As for comparison to the BMW 330i SE, the engine power output is the same. Torque is a little less. I don't know, but I suspect the Jag is a little heavier than the BMW. Anyway, who cares if the BMW gets to 100 kph half a second quicker, it is not a drag strip out there, and if you do stuff it up the very clever Jaguar all wheel drive is going to get you out of trouble quicker.

For my money I'll take the Cat thanks.